Using Gate Screens and Modal Boxes in E-Learning #269

Gate Screens and Modal Boxes in E-Learning #269: ChallengeRecap

How do you slow down the flow of information and give learners a chance to reflect or take action? One way is by using gate screens.

What are Gate Screens?

Modal windows and gate screens are a great way to make learners pause and interact with your course before continuing through it. Think of gates like floating dialog boxes that provide a big picture overview or contextual help for a specific slide.

Some typical uses for gate screens are general instructions, navigation and course player tips. 

Gate screens can also be used to provide compliance agreements, course checklists, and custom sitemaps for your course.

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to share an e-learning example featuring a gate screen or modal box. Your example can be static or interactive.

We hosted a gate screen challenge seven years ago. You can view the challenge examples in this recap post.

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you unlock your creative gates this week, take a few moments to check out the animated examples your fellow challengers shared in last week's Rube Goldberg challenge:

Rube Goldberg Animations in E-Learning

Rube Goldberg Animations in E-Learning #268: Challenge | Recap

Wishing you a great week, E-Learning Heroes!

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

124 Comments
Mara Mayorquin

DEMO: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/cdaa6229-7ddc-4c1f-a334-58fb10b58b7b/review Hi there! Pretty new to this group and new to Articulate. However, I am super excited to practice some of these challenges and receive feedback/advice. One of my jobs is to train our faculty on using Blackboard. In our faculty onboarding course, we have instructors learn the experience of a student and instructor in Blackboard (Blackboard Learn). While we have our university-specific videos in the class, I have utilized the Blackboard Inc. training videos for my demo. I would also like to note an additional gate screen when viewing the Student and Faculty pages; I have also inserted a Gate Screen if the user presses left or right before watching the video. So, please try that out w... Expand

Jonathan Hill