Media Tour

Jun 29, 2011

I need a screen with text and also a video where the user can click something to start the video and replay it at will. I see how to play the video with a playbar in the media tour but not way to display other text on that same screen. Am I missing something? Or is there a better way to do this? Thanks!!

13 Replies
Justin Wilcox

Hi Carrie and welcome to Heroes! The media tour interaction does not have the option to add an introductory slide. Are you only creating a standalone Engage interaction or were you planning on  creating a Presenter presentation? Doing what you are trying to accomplish would be pretty easy in Presenter. You could also consider using a different interaction type.

Carrie Eaton

Well, I've been working on this and am really excited about the possibilities the transparent background holds!! But about this specific task....I insert the movie with controls and text on the screen around it, and it works!! But the text isn't where I'd like it. For one, the screen size in Quizmaker is smaller than in Presenter so the real estate is more limited.

SO....I thought, ok, I'll make a master slide that holds the headers and text and then put just the video on the Quizmaker slide. And it's oh so close! BUT when I publish, the master slide with the text and a graphic bar across the bottom appears momentarily and then disappears when the video comes up, i.e. when the Quizmaker page displays. It feels like I didn't get the screen transparent ...but the graphic across the bottom appears and I've checked and double-checked transparencies on the template and they all say 100% and are white...what am I missing???

Carrie Eaton

Am just about to closeup shop...THANKS FOR RESPONDING!

I created a slide in Quiz Maker according to the directions in the blog I was directed to earlier (attached file 1 and 2...). All the background items are set to white and 100% transparent. I then inserted the video with controls in the bottom right portion of the screen.

Then I went into ppt and created a master screen with a header across the top and smaller text down the left side of the master, leaving room for the video to display (file 3...). I checked 'include slide master...' as you show below.(file 4...)

When I preview, all the text and the bar across the bottom display briefly (file 5...) but when the video loads, the text down the left side of the screen disappears ...the header at the top and graphic across the bottom (from the master slide) stay on screen with the video, but no text on the left.(file 5).

Does that help?

Ron Price

Okay, I think I understand what you are doing now. My thoughts . . .  This issue seems to be, that even though you have made everything you can possibly make transparent, the center area of your QM slide is still going to cover up your text.  Is that correct?  The most simple solution is to build that whole slide, text and all in QM.  But as I understand from this thread, you are wanting something more seamless.  It may be worth looking at this work around - http://www.builtbyburton.com/?p=653

or . . . you could get a Flash converter/editing tool - something cheap like Swish - and just add a playbar to your video and insert it as you would any other video in Presenter.

Good luck.

Ron Price

Carrie,

I just thought of another option that may help.  You mentioned using Media Tour.  have you thought about any of the other Engage Interactions.  For example, Using the Process Interaction, but deleting all of the steps in the process.  So the video is just on the Intro Slide.

You can manipulate the size of the video and turn on the Playbar in any of the Engage Interactions.  Using a one button Timeline Interaction could possibly work. - see shots below . . .

Good luck

Carrie Eaton

Thanks, Ron! These all seem like good options. The reason I don't want to put all the text in QM is that the screen size is smaller than Presenter, so I can't get the title bar where it is on the other slides. I'm assuming this is because, though the frame is transparent, it's still sitting there on the screen. I'm still going to play around a bit and see why that center portion is covering up the master slide....what I read on the blog makes me think  it shouldn't be a problem....probably user error somewhere!?!? If I get it solved, I'll let you know for future reference!

Thanks again,

Carrie

Carrie Eaton

Wanted to let you know I got the screen I wanted.

The audio in the sample on the blog said the center portion of the screen can't be made to be transparent. I figured the background would do it, but there is another pane, so I tried a Plan B:

• Created a blank slide in QM according to the directions in the blog
  • Placed the video on the right with player controls, the sub-title at the very top of the screen, and the two short paragraphs on the left side of the screen
  • Created a new master page in PPT with the header at the top of the screen and the graphic footer across the bottom.
  • Set  Presenter to show the master slide behind QM.
  • And tweaked a bit at a time to get the sub-title to be in the same position on this new screen as the others in the  course...
  • and it worked!

Thanks so much to all of you for your help!!!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.