Recording screen

Nov 07, 2012

Hi,

I have downloaded Engage and would like to record my screen.  Is this something I can do with Engage or do I need to use a difference piece of software?  I did download Video Encoder but this only gives me the option to import a video file or record from my webcam.

Thanks

Jodie

9 Replies
Ann Rollins

Hello,

I use Captivate to do my screen recordings (I am creating training and assessment items using Captivate, so I need the feedback captions and tracking for the assessment), but when I import the SWFs or MP4s into my Engage interactions and replay them, they play at lightening speed, the loop over and over, and thumbnails from Captivate appear embedded in them.  When I run them from Captivate or solo using my File Manager, this doesn't happen.  Can you tell me what settings I need to change to prevent this from occuring?

Thanks,

Ann

Jeanette Brooks

Hey Ann, Engage publishes at a rate of 30 frames per second, and it sounds like maybe your screen recording was created at a different rate. I'd recommend creating your movie at 30 frames per second and reinsert it, and see if that helps. If not, would you mind submitting your 

Regarding the looping, Engage doesn't have a feature that loops movies, so again there might be a setting within your file that is causing that behavior. If you continue to have trouble, would you mind submitting a support case so that our support team can take a look and troubleshoot?

Ann Rollins

Thanks so much for your help

It sure plays the way it should; when I inserted it into my interaction, it was a hot mess.  Should I create a ticket?  I am building training on forms completion for one of my clients and need to embed a series of them in Engage, and I need to be able to preview and publish them and have them work as they should.

Any thoughts on why my installation is acting this way?

Jeanette Brooks

If you can save your screen recording as an MP4 and insert that directly into your Engage interaction (which is what I did with the sample MP4 you attached to your earlier post), you should be okay. But if you try that and it doesn't play correctly, then yah, it would be a good idea to submit a support case. The support submission is confidential and only support engineers will see it, so it's best if you can include your Engage file, as well as the MP4 video you're having trouble with. 

Another alternative would be to create the screen recording for free at Screenr.com, download the MP4, and insert that into Engage.

If you can't use an MP4 and instead need to insert as a SWF, as Phil mentioned unfortunately that won't work with Engage if you're using Captivate 5.5. You could insert it into Presenter, however, as a web object. Here's how.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.