Tic Tac Toe interaction playback performance issue in Presenter

Oct 15, 2012

I saw an older thread about the Tic Tac Toe interaction, and some people mentioned having a similar problem, but there was no answer to solve the problem itself. When I submitted a support ticket, they suggested posting here again as well as contacting David McCllelan, since it's a community interaction that he created. 

We're having a problem with the Tic-Tac-Toe community interaction not playing correctly in Presenter. The issue presents itself both in an Articulate template package we've created as the base for our self-study deliverable, as well as in self-studies we create that are produced from the template. I've attached an mp4 that shows the issue both in a playback version of our template, as well as in a self-study that I created using the template.

I thought perhaps it is an issue with the data.xml file, but I couldn't find any information or help on that. Any ideas? We really like the option of being able to use this interaction, but we spent a lot of time and effort to make the rest of the template package look and behave in a close to flawless manner, given the number of people who will be repurposing it to build self-study content. If we can't get it to work correctly, we may need to drop it from a template, and that'd be a shame.

TIA for any ideas about what's going on.


4 Replies
Dan Winter

Hi Linda,

First off - thanks for the video! How innovative, and incredibly helpful. Question for you first - have you had the opportunity to try the Tic-Tac-Toe on an alternate browser? I'll save us all the favorite browser debate....! Let me know if you've had the chance to try a basic Internet Explorer - just to get rid of a variable! - and then I may have some other ideas...

Linda Ross

Hi Dan, thanks for your reply. I've tried it in IE 8 and Firefox 3.6.22 as well. I get the same performance issues on reload. Of the three browsers, IE seems to hang the least and will eventually load on 4 out of 6 tries. Chrome and Firefox both hang after multiple reloads.

I'm having a few more people on my team test different browsers from different locations. 


Dan Winter

Great to hear there are several on the case! I've made my own Tic-Tac-Toe activity, and am having no problems, which leads me to believe a handful of possibilities...

1) On your network, are your Microsoft/Java/Adobe updates managed by the IT department? Perhaps an update is needing to be released to load in the browser appropriately.

2) How much of the content within the object is original, and how much is being pulled from another part of the module? It looks like your modules are pretty hefty - and awfully impressive! - perhaps the cache is filling up.

Would you be able to try to publish the interaction independent of the course, to see if it functions as a course by itself?

Linda Ross

Sorry, never got back to you on this. In practice, after final publication, the Tic Tac Toe interaction works just fine when we create them in self-studies created from the template, as you can see in this self-study on RUEI that I just published on Oracle Learning Library, even in the Chrome browser. So now it's only in the playback version of the template that we encountered issues, and typically only in the Chrome browser. Not a show stopper, and something we can address up-front as a caution. The playback version of the template is only going to be available to an internal Oracle audience, so we can recommend that they use IE for best playback.

If it were more of a problem with the template when implemented in actual self-studies, that would be more problematic, since we can't dictate which browsers visitors to our OLL use. Currently, we have to make exceptions for this content as it is since it's Flash-based and therefore not accessible on all mobile devices...yet. Really looking forward to the HTML5 and iOS publishing options with Studio '13.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.