9 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Paul,

As far as I know, text entry fields should work through Articulate Online and Storyline for HTML5. However, I'm not sure how you have the course set up. Do you have any additional functionality set up for the text boxes? 

For reference, you may want to see if any features in the course may be causing an issue with the HTML5 content. 

To do so, please take a look at the chart below:

Articulate Support - Comparing Storyline's Flash, HTML5, and Articulate Mobile Player output

Unless there's another element interfering with the text entry, it should be supported:

Looks like data entry fields are supported too, the only issue with those would be customized prompts.

Paul Alders

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your response. I tried to work my way true your suggestions, but I can't figure it out. Below I've put a link to the file.

I would like to put this course and more of these in Storyline online for use on a PC and IPad without using the mobile player. I hope that you can help me out whit this

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71286919/tafel%20van%208.story

Christine Hendrickson

Good morning Paul,

Thanks for the link. I tested it on my PC and it is working properly there. However, I'm not able to test this on an iPad at the moment. Are you able to send the file to our tech team so they can do some additional testing and see what may be causing the issue?

You'll be able to attach the .STORY file, or share the Dropbox link on the second page of the following form:

Articulate Support - Submit a Support Case

Please be sure to include a description of your issue. Please also include the URL for this thread in the form. Also, please share the case number with me. You're welcome to do so here, or in a private message. This way I can follow the progress of the case and update this thread.

Christine Hendrickson

Good morning Luke!

I took a look at Paul's case and it looks like the main issue was solved by bringing the Text Entry object to the front of the slide. 

"To do this, click the Text Entry object in the slide to select it, click Arrange from the tools above and select "Bring to Front". Publish your course again and upload to a server to test it in your iPad."

I'm not sure if this will solve the problem for you as well, or not. If it doesn't, can you give us a little more information about what's happening in your course?

Thanks!

Emalyn Lim

Hi,

I'm facing the same problem too whereby the text field cannot function in iPad. It cannot be click and edit. But my file is a little different case.

I have attached the file and the published file here. One of the published file is with added default.htm and edited imsmanifest.xml at the line of

default.htm" adlcp:scormtype="sco">

Both with or without the added default.htm still cannot work. If you see from my file, I have slightly different approach whereby the users have to type in the correct text then only auto-move to next slide. If input is incorrect, then the try again layer will appear with bubble hints.

Regards,

Emalyn

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Emalyn,

Thanks for sharing the file!

I published for Flash > Articulate Mobile Player for the iPad and uploaded the course to test it. With this version, I'm able to enter the text in the field.

Testing for Emalyn

I did have some trouble getting the HTML5 version to work, however. Taking a closer look, I realized that you have a "Hint" layer showing when the timeline for the slide starts. I removed this trigger, just for testing and *poof* the entry field on the HTML5 output is working for me on the iPad.

I tried adding an additional trigger that would hide the layer when a learner basically clicks or "taps" anywhere, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. I think this is actually pretty similar to the earlier issue in this thread, with the fact that something is present over the actual text entry field with the HTML5 output. 

Perhaps using a different method would work for showing the hint? For example, I uploaded a version with the hint text on the timeline of the initial slide that shows for 5 seconds. After those 5 seconds, it disappears. This will keep the text field available and seems to resolve the issue with the HTML5 published version.

Here's the example, if you want to take a look:

Testing for Emalyn HTML5

I'm also attaching the modified file, just in case you want to take a look.

Let me know how this works for you.

Thanks!

Emalyn Lim

Hi Christine,

I tested it in my iPad but the interaction seems to be auto-detect error and auto-proceed. Cause in my project it is suppose to be after user key-in text and when press ENTER only show whether it is correct to auto-proceed or incorrect to show the black speech bubble.

Can this be done in the new method you have suggested?

Thanks and regards,

Emalyn

Christine Hendrickson

Good morning Emalyn,

Yes, you should be able to do this by changing your "Jump to" trigger's "When" to "When the user presses the Enter key":

Here's an updated example using your project file:

http://chendrickson.articulate-online.com/4556594235

Now, as you'll see, the response won't submit until after hitting the "Enter" key on your iPad. It also works with the "Try Again" prompt. However, you'll notice that the same issue comes up when the "Try Again" layer is shown - it's over the entry field layer, so it's not possible to enter any additional text. It may be best to put this on the main slide as a shape that changes state, or have that layer close automatically after only a second or two.

I hope this helps!

Have a great day,

Christine