2010 to 2007 back-compatibility issue? Lost audio.

Mar 16, 2012

I'm working with a team that has been recording and syncing audio with lessons we are developing.  All of us were using Office 2007, but recently two of us were 'upgraded' (?) to Office 2010.  When we try to preview or work with files that were created under Office 2007, PowerPoint complains that there is unrecognized content in the .pptx file, and offers to 'repair' the file.  The only way to open the file is to let the 'repair' happen.  At that point, if we go to the Articulate menu and try to preview a slide, record audio, or sync audio, there is no sound.  The audio exists -- the player shows as playing for the correct duration -- but no sound comes out.  This is true on both of our machines now.

Is there some way to get our audio back?  It seems like there is some content in the 2007 files that 2010 does not recognize as legitimate PowerPoint content, and is deleting...

3 Replies
Diana Svatošová

I get same issue in older PowerPoint files but not know why. I get also in file not with Articulate so know it not come from Articulate publishing.

We have some customers who use 2003 and 2007 and 2010  so we have problem sometime go back and forth ( because PowerPoint modifies some of the objects). When I record audio, I export from audio editor so I have original audio in case gone later.

From Articulate perspective I think that connection to the .ppta gets broken when you save in different formats. The .ppta is connected to the original file and sometimes you save to new name or format and the new file not have .ppta association because it is new file.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.