Font issue in Presenter '13

Nov 20, 2013

Hello all,

We're having some odd issues with fonts in courses.  The first issue is the notes pages.  The notes are formatted identically in PPT but they're not rendering quite the same in the Notes pane.  Some pages have darker fonts than others.  Is anyone else having trouble with that?

Also, we had an issue where part of bulleted listed was bolded, parted is not.  The unbolded section is rendering higher than the bolded, by about 1/4 of the letter height.  Again, these are formatted entirely the same save for bolding.  Is there a fix for this?

48 Replies
Joyce Hensen

It appears that this problem persists.  Is there hope for a cure?  I've actually changed the font to Articulate 11pt, Black.  It is formatted both in the notes master and on each individual slide via the Notes Page view.  The results are inconsistent and look aweful.  The Menu is crisp, but as you can see, the notes panel is not and the color varies from slide to slide although they are identical in the file.

joe Najera

We've been waiting for months for a fix to this. I guess we're just waiting for another update? We're in the process of converting tons of courses from 09 to 13, and it's irritating that we're going to have to double back and republish once the notes look decent.

Joyce Hensen said:

It appears that this problem persists.  Is there hope for a cure?  I've actually changed the font to Articulate 11pt, Black.  It is formatted both in the notes master and on each individual slide via the Notes Page view.  The results are inconsistent and look aweful.  The Menu is crisp, but as you can see, the notes panel is not and the color varies from slide to slide although they are identical in the file.

Pam Richmond

I am using Presenter '13 update 7, and this is still an issue. This image shows that the PowerPoint notes are consistently formatted, but the notes appear with extra line breaks and different line spacing when published. I am using Web output, including HTML 5, but the image below shows the Flash version.

I should also note that this is a presentation that was created in an earlier version of both PowerPoint and Presenter but has since been updated. I tested a brand new presentation and did not have the same issues seen below (all fonts were consistent).  Re-creating the files is not an option for us.

This image shows that the PowerPoint notes are consistently formatted, but appear with extra line breaks and different line spacing.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Michael!

We do try to update threads when applicable.

I still see an issue open with the blurry notes, so I do not have an update to provide on this issue.

I am not seeing the spacing issue that Pam mentioned above:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/tempshare-stage.studio.articulate.com/pro_1ang2okg2k90ed61s01mcvnc29/presentation.html

What is the issue that you are seeing?

Andy Parker

I also see blurry fonts which are not as specified in the PowerPoint notes. In the following notes tab, the font in the orignial PowerPoint notes is Arial 10 (not bold), but it displays in the published file (to CD) as larger and bolder than the slide heading. Which cannot be right. I am using Studio 13 update 7 with Windows 10.

Here is the Menu tab for the same slide. Its font is OK and it would be great if we could get Articulate Studio to use the same font in the notes tab.

Crystal Horn

Hi Andy.  You're right, that doesn't look like it should.  I did a little testing on my end, and I couldn't reproduce that behavior with that font type in my own project.  I'm on Windows 10, but I used our latest Studio '13 release Update 8, which was just released.  Could you download that latest version and republish your project?  I'm interested to see if that changes things.

If not, can you submit your file to us for testing?

Andy Parker

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for the reply. Have just dowloaded update 8 and republished. Same result. Notes still not formatted correctly.

I thought I created an Articulate package

but unfortunately, when I click the Open Folder button, the package zip  is not there so I am unable to upload it. Any other way of getting my files to you?

Andy Parker

Hi Crystal.

I think I have resolved my Notes issue. I had been working on a copy of the PowerPoint that was on a network drive. Once I moved it to my C drive and republished, the notes look fine. Similarly, the package is created correctly when I create from the C drive version of the PowerPoint.

Regards,
Andy

Pam Richmond

To follow up on the blurry notes issue I noted previously, I did some additional testing:

• If I start from a new PPT and type notes in manually, there are no issues.
  • Publishing from the original PPT sample I posted, the fonts no longer seem blurry, but there are still additional line breaks, and the font is larger, so some kind of formatting is being retained.
  • If I start from a new PPT and paste in the notes from the original PPT sample, I get the issues with the larger font with additional line breaks. 
  • If I then delete the notes in the previous step after pasting them from the original sample, and type new text manually, the new text has the same formatting issues.

It seems that copying and pasting the notes from Word and PPT is causing some unseen formatting to come along with it. The original notes were copied from Word and pasted into PPT.

I did all of this work on a local drive. I also tried pasting the notes into several applications to identify hidden characters, and I couldn't find anything.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.