Articulate Presenter: Video Lagging and Audio dropping when using Chrome as browser

Has anyone had a problem recently with trainings developed in Articulate Presenter (Studio '13 version) not playing from your site using Google Chrome as the browser?  If so, have you found a solution?  Is it a setting that can be changed?

The training plays fine using IE.  I just noticed this issue with a new training but I have had sketchy reports of it over the past couple of months. At our company, the default browser is IE but many folks prefer Chrome and have been using it lately.

I have resorted to putting a note on the training page letting people know that IE is the browser to use and the problems that will result in using Chrome but I am hoping a better solution is out there. 

Thanks in advance for the technical assist!

 

19 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Pam,

I haven't heard of anything specific - but do you know what version of Chrome they're using? I believe the latest is ver 64. Also, do you know if they're viewing the Flash or HTML5 output in Chrome? Both should work well in Chrome, but it may help narrow down what the cause is. An easy way to tell with web published content is looking at the end of the URL. For Flash output, you'd see presentation.html vs. HTML5 output would show presentation_html5.html.

Pam Robinson

Thanks for responding, Ashley. 

We are using Chrome version 64.0.3282.140 and my output is presentation_html5.html but I have published some previous trainings in presentation.html. Both versions seem to be having issues running in Chrome that they don't have in IE. My training is housed on our company's intranet SharePoint site. It could be a SharePoint-Chrome issue.  Again, I am just guessing because this seems to be a recent phenomenon. But I have witnessed it myself so I am searching for a solution other than the one I came up with, which is tell users to use IE instead of Chrome.

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Pam,

If it's recent, your guess that it's a Sharepoint-Chrome issue may be spot on, as we haven't changed anything in Studio '13 since March 2017.  An easy way to test this is upload to Tempshare (a free testing platform - it'll keep URLs live for 10 days) and you can see how it behaves in Chrome there. If it's still showing you some odd behavior let us know and we can take a look at your Presenter package! 

John  McFadden

I'm not an expert but since my presentations all play fine in Chrome from my PC and the problem only occurs when viewing them after I have posted to our server, I assume it must be a server issue. Something has changed because even presentations I posted a year ago now have the problem. 

If someone posts a solution, I'll let you know.

 

John  McFadden

Articulate Support have now tested my HTML5 presentation and others on several servers and have been able to replicate the issue of audio randomly dropping out on slides when the presentation is viewed using Chrome.  They said that this confirms it is not an issue with our server and indicates a possible Articulate software bug. They have no idea when it will be resolved.

Their suggestion is to have our clients try using a different browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox when viewing the courses. We had already reluctantly resorted to doing this, which is ridiculous considering Chrome is the most popular browser. Their suggestion for a workaround was to publish in Flash, which we stopped doing 2 years ago due to browser compatibility and security issues.

We have been using Articulate since 2007 and because we can no longer use it, we have now very reluctantly been forced to switch to using iSpring Presenter which does not have the same issues.

I'm very disappointed with this outcome.

Pam Robinson

John, Thank you so much for the update on this issue and I share your pain.  I suspected that it was a Chrome/Articulate issue and I took that point of least resistance by placing a banner on my company's training page that recommends using IE as the browser to avoid the problem. We have a lot of platforms/applications here that favor one browser over another.  So it wasn't a big deal for me or my learners. It's also a recent problem, which makes me think that some programming/coding update by Google may have caused this problem.  But I am just guessing.  I'm surprised that no one else seems to have reported having the issue. 

Sorry to hear that you moved to another solution with less features though. Articulate is a great tool and helps us turn out awesome projects. Here's to hoping they figure out what the issue is and resolve it soon.