Branching

Aug 02, 2012

My co-worker is developing a course using Adobe Captivate (I know shame on her!!! and would like to include some case scenario's using the branching feature.  This is new to both of us, so we are looking into how this is done.  Basically, she will have a question and then they will have a few choices to pick from.  Each choice, whether right or wrong, will "branch" out to another step in the process.  They will keep making choices until they get it right. 

I know Articulate has the branching feature which takes you from one slide to another, but does it have this type of capability?  My co-worker is very busy with another large project, so my manager came up to me to see if I could help her out and was wondering if we could do this in Articulate.  I would much rather design the course in Articulate so any suggestions would be most appreciated. 

Just thought of one more thing, could you use both Articulate and Captivate (Articulate for the design but Captivate for the branching section of the course.)?

Thank you very much.  I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Dianne

2 Replies
Beverly Scruggs

Dianne, I feel your pain! I first used Captivate, then was lucky to get Articulate, which is so much easier to work with, IMO. I just completed a course with several branching scenarios built in Quizmaker. I used two blank slides after the question slide. If the learner picks the right answer, it goes to the first blank slide with the correct answer gives instant feedback. If the learner picks a wrong answer, it goes to the other slide, where instant feedback (including the correct answer) is given.

You can also build scenarios in regular PPT slides in Presenter, then use hyperlinks to guide learners to the proper feedback depending on the answers they choose. I think these types of interactions are much easier to build in Articulate than Captivate.

Hope this helps!

Dianne Ospina

Hi Beveryly,

Thanks for your suggestions, very helpful. I have a few questions however. 

1.  In Articulate, how did you get the user's response to branch to the blank slides? 

2.  With regards to the hyperlinks, should you build those in PP or Presenter?  Also, how much can you branch?  For instance, let's say you have a scenario and there are 3 choices to the decision for that scenario.  So I would need the slide with the scenario to be able to link to 3 other slides.  Now, depending on which of the decision they choose, there is a response (explaination of why that decision is correct or almost correct or totally wrong).  If they make the second or third choice, that will take them back to the original decision slide again so that they can start over.  They will do this until they obtain the correct answer. 

Is that possible?

Thanks again for your help and I hope I explained that OK!! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.