Closed Captioning

Oct 11, 2012

I have a video that already has closed captions. I would like to publish it as a flash video (to be played in articulate) while keeping the closed captions intact (and able to toggle on/off). Is there any way to do this? Preferably using Articulate Video Encoder '09?

7 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Rachel,

I'm surprised there aren't any suggestions on this thread, already. Sorry about that! Are you working with the same type of video eLearning was using? I'm assuming the files are separate with the original files. What i'd suggest for this is actually creating another video recording of that video with the subtitles playing. This way, you'd have the video and subtitles in one file. I'm not sure you'd be able to pull them in separately into Presenter, as I've never seen this accomplished before. 

Hopefully this information will get you started. If you find any additional information or suggestions, please feel free to share.

Thanks!

Rachel Leigh

Thanks for your response Christine. 

I think what you're describing is open captioning which is different from closed captioning (CC).  CC allows you to turn on and off the subtitles whereas open captioning doesn't.  I definitely don't want open captioning, so I've accepted that this is just a limitation of the tool.  We're posting these videos on YouTube so we'll have closed captioning there on them at least.  My dept.  elected to use 3playmedia to add the closed captioning.

Rachel

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.