Closing a Course

Apr 18, 2012

I'm having an issue with an LMS we are testing.  When the user is finished with a lesson (whether mid-lesson or at the end), closes the course, and then logs out of the LMS, they are able to click the Back button in Internet Explorer, and it is as though they have not logged out of the LMS.  At that time, they are able to click the button for the course again, which places them in limbo for an undermined amount of time.  The LMS contact is explaining the following as the problem:

"it sounds like you are not closing your lesson correctly, which will be a setting that you need to make in your authoring tool.  Our (or any) LMS has no idea that you are done until you successfully close the lesson which will initiate the sending of SCORM data back to the LMS.  Lessons run independently, and don't need an LMS to run.  For example, you can launch a lesson, then close your LMS completely but still run the lesson.  SCORM allows that.  However, when you go and close the lesson, it will get an error trying to pass data back to an LMS that is gone.

So on the surface, this entire issue seems to be because of a lesson that is not configured to close properly.  Fix that, and your concerns will go away too."

Any suggestions on what he's referring to, and whether or not that problem is really on my end.

3 Replies
Karen Kahlig

Justin, agreed, and frankly, I am grateful for this feedback.  I am new to both eLearning and Articulate in general.  Logically, this didn't make sense to me, but I really have no reason to believe anything couldn't be true this early in the game.  Thank you for confirming what seems to be reasonable to me.  We're testing this LMS.  If they cannot address this problem, perhaps this is an opportunity to try another.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.