Completion Status Issues

Nov 08, 2011

Hi there. A client is having trouble with the completion statuses of successfully completed course not being communicated to the LMS. When the learner exits the course, they are presented with a window that displays the following message:  "The content has ended. You may close this window." An hour glass is visible for several after this window appears, indicating, I assume, that the course is communicating with the LMS.

The problem is that when the learner closes the window (as instructed by the message) before the hour glass disappears, the course completion status is not registered.  Is there a way to ensure that this window only appears after the course has finished communicating with the LMS? If not, is there a way to change the message so that the learner can be instructed to wait until the hour glass disappears before closing the window?

Thanks in advance!

Vico

4 Replies
Peter Anderson

Welcome to Heroes, Vico!

The lag in communication between the course and LMS appears to be an issue with your client's LMS, so I'd recommend they take a look at this article on troubleshooting Articulate and LMS issues:

http://www.articulate.com/blog/9-ways-to-troubleshoot-articulate-lms-issues/

They'll want to discuss the issue with their LMS provider, as well.

One suggestion that could serve as a temporary fix in the meantime, would be to insert a blank slide at the end of your course that asks the user to simply wait until the hourglass has finished spinning before closing the window. 

I hope that's helpful...

Leah Hemeon

We had a very similar issue with our LMS. It was exactly as Peter is describing. We added a final slide to all of our courses using PowerPoint animation that is basically a simple progress bar that holds the learner on that screen for about 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, a message displays telling them they can close the window. The key was to do it all on one slide because the final reporting happens on that final slide.

Good luck! Completion is a painful thing when it doesn't work!

Brian Lewis

In a very general sense, what event actually triggers the Articulate Presentation to communicate with an LMS and tell it, "This course was successfully completed?"  I worked with another e-learning program that required me to add a "Completion" action to the course.  This was often added to the button on the last page of the course.  How is this down with Articulate?

Thanks!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.