Error 1706 when repairing Studio '09 Update 10

Sep 22, 2015

Long story shortened, about Studio '09 Update 10.  Needing to revisit an old pre-Storyline project, I experienced problems running Presenter, trying Save & Send, so I figured repairing Studio was needed.  I attempted to reinstall the Studio Update 10, which I first installed more than a year ago, but probably never used until yesterday.  The re-install process appeared to be running properly with progress indicators normal, until it stopped, giving this message: 
"Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Articulate Studio '09 Pro.  The Windows Installer can not continue." 

This Studio Update was installed last year on my Windows 7, 64-bit OS running 32-bit Office 2010.

I read 'Unexpected or Erratic Behavior in Articulate Studio '09' and really don't care to uninstall / reinstall both Studio '09 AND Office 2010.  My desktop support guy suggests asking for advice before we undertake anything so drastic.

3 Replies
Frank  Bialas

Thanks for the lead, Christie. I followed up  with more research, to find that Microsoft replaced Windows Installer Cleanup Utility a few years ago with Program Install / Uninstall Troubleshooter.  Here's a link to a tech news article that explains it better than any Microsoft knowledge base article I ever read.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/cannot-install-uninstall-programs-windows-7

I'll have to enlist the aid of my PC guru and desktop support guy to do this.  I'll post a followup to document success or failure.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.