Flash Issue

Aug 23, 2011

Hi:  I have a thirteen second Flash file that I inserted onto a PowerPoint slide.  The slide is blank and has no other animations on it.   I want the slide to advance automatically when it finishes playing.

When I preview the slide and the following slide, the slide with the animation doesn't advanced until 48 seconds have passed.  So, the 13 second Flash file plays, then the screen goes blank and the slide does not advanced until the 48 seconds are over.

I have tried the following:  in Presentation Options > Publish, changed "on mouse click animations without set timings" to 0.  Also, I've changed "slides without audio or animation to display" to 2, seconds, 5 seconds, etc.  Not sure that would have any impact anyway, but I was grasping at straws.

I have also added a text animation to the slide and set it to display and disappear in 15 seconds, hoping that would trigger Articulate to advance to the next slide.  That hasn't helped either.

I appreciate your advice - what can I try next?  Thanks! 

7 Replies
Mary Keenan

HI Phil:

I did set the slide to advance automatically.

I do not have any other animations or audio on the slide.  I have deleted the slide and inserted a new one a couple of times, just to make sure nothing was hidden somewhere on the slide.

The frame rate is 24 frames per second.  Would that make a difference?  thanks

Phil Mayor

I was going to try and insert the swf and see how long it advanced on my machine.

The intersting fact is that it is taking 48 sec, if you calculate the drop in framerate  it is probably the equivalent of running four times

When you insert you need to select slide advances automatically when movie finishes, and synchronise slide and movie

Also in the Slide Properties, set the slide you want to auto advance to "Automatically" under the "Advance" header. That field will override the flash player settings and ensure your file conforms to these guidelines

http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter09/kb/?p=76

The other option is to insert 13 seconds of silence and dont synchronise the swf to the slide, then set the slide to auto advance

Phil

Mary Keenan

Wow!  I think the problem is fixed!  Can I just review what I did to make sure I did it right?

Note:  I had already tried everything else you suggested, but nothing worked.  I hadn't tried the adding Silence.  That worked.

In audio editor, I inserted silence on the first slide.

When I reimported the Flash, I set the movie "behavior" to "movie plays independently of slide."

Is that correct?

Thanks!  I am so excited to have fixed this!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.