Hyperlink to an swf file not working in Presenter 2013

Nov 13, 2013

Hi,

We just recently switched to 2013 and the hyperlink to swf files no longer work. I tried the procedure detailed here: http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter-13/powerpoint-hyperlink-support-in-articulate-presenter-13 

Hyperlinking to a web page is supported in Presenter. However, hyperlinking to a file isn't directly supported. That being said, you can hyperlink to a file in this manner:

1. Right-click the text or object in PowerPoint you want to hyperlink, and select Hyperlink.
  2. Select Exisiting File or Web Page.
  3. Type the name of the file into the Address field, including its file extension. It's case-sensitive, so be sure to type the file name exactly. (Note: You can't browse for the file.) 

But I'm still getting a "This link appears to be broken" notification. Is this procedure not applicable for swf files?

Thank you in advance.

Edz

18 Replies
Edz Guanko

Phil Mayor said:

Do you want the Swf to play in the browser? If so  I think you need to embed it in a web page   If you want the Swf to download and for the user to play it, that really isn't going to work because of flash security. 

I expect it it is being blocked the the browser because of the file type 

Hi, Phil. Yes, I want the SWF to open in a browser. This was what we did in the 2009 version. How do I embed it in web page?

Thank you!

Edz Guanko

Hi Leslie,

I ran into a bit of trouble again with regard to this issue. What I want to do is to play the swf file within the slide, but I want it to be visible only when I button is clicked (in this case, a TAKE THE QUIZ button). I tried doing "insert flash" in articulate, but when the swf is inserted it's clearly visible in the slide, there's no way to make it transparent so I can put it over the TAKE THE QUIZ button. Furthermore, if I resize it to fit the button, that's the size it will take when the button is clicked.

What  want is for the button to kind of "hyperlink" to the swf file.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Edz

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Edz,

I may not be following your objective correctly - but it sounds like you just want to show the SWF when a button within a slide is clicked, correct?

Could you place the SWF into a hidden slide and hyperlink to that slide, instead? 

Again, not sure if that would work for you - but I thought I'd chime in, just in case :)

Good luck!

Edz Guanko

Hi Christine,

Thank you for your reply. You got exactly what I want to do However, I tried the method you proposed, and while the hyperlink worked in the PPT, it doesn't work after publishing in Articulate. Even after clicking the button, it doesn't bring me to the intended slide. It works if the slide is not hidden, but we really don't want it to be visible.

Thanks!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi there Edz!

Are you able to share the original file or a recreation with me? I'd like to check it out, if I may.

Articulate Support - How to Create an Articulate Package

If the file's too large, it may not upload here - if you can, try to narrow the project down to just the slide with the button and the slide with the SWF file. 

Thanks!

Edz Guanko

Hi Christine,

I was able to resolve this (finally!) by using this procedure: http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter-13/powerpoint-hyperlink-support-in-articulate-presenter-13

I tried it before upgrading to Office 2013 and for some reason it didn't work. But after the upgrade it did.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Jeff Schlaybach

Hello Group,

Trying to get a Captivate 6 SWF to allow right-mouse click triggers without the flash menu coming up when inserting the SWF into an Articulate 2013 presentation (when running on our LMS - I realize running locally this can be an issue with flash security).

Went through this: http://community.articulate.com/forums/t/27089.aspx but that is oriented toward Articulate '09 which had a player folder when published. Articulate 2013 does not have a similar folder so the concepts seem to break down.

Discussed this with Captivate gurus and they indicate that I need to make sure the whole package (htm, css, .js, swf)  is on the LMS.

So where would I place the SWF, css and .js and htm files that were generated by Captivate 6 so that these can be used on my LMS as part of my Articulate output? I see lms and presentation_content folders, along with a presentation.swf and .htm files in the root folder (also an index_lms.html).

I could use Web Objects, and have proven that this works and the RM trigger is detected, but would prefer to insert SWF since it is more integrated into the published Articulate final product.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.