Inserting a web object as a clickable object in Studio 360

Dec 27, 2016

I want to do the following:

• Insert a web object that links to a video.
  • Display the web object in a new browser window with No Browser Controls (so that it doesn't open as new tab, but rather as a separate pop-up window)
  • and I don't want the web object to appear automatically. I want the user to click something to have it open.

However, when I do this and then publish the output, here is what it looks like. web object unavailable message in published output

I was assuming it would show a preview of the page or something, but it shows the "Web Object is unavailable during preview" warning in the published output. Is there a better way to do this? I don't want to embed the video in the page directly, what I want is a link that goes to a URL on a pop-up page with no browser controls. If I click that rectangle, it does what I want, but I'm not sure how to control what the thing you click on looks like. I for sure don't want ot to say "Web Object unavailable during preview." :-)

10 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Will!

Sorry to hear you've run into this issue. I have tried to replicate this behavior on my end, but I'm not seeing the 'Web Object is unavailable during preview' message you're seeing. Are you able to share your Articulate Package here? Or if you prefer to send it privately, you can share it with our Support Engineers by way of this form

Also, it would be helpful to know what publish format you used and what browser you used to view the content. :)

Will Findlay

Vevette Chua, Customer Support Engineer, helped me come up with a very acceptable way to remedy this. It turns out that the Brightcove video player that I am using isn't currently able to be auto-captured as an image by Articulate like other pages (like YouTube).  However, PowerPoint 2013 has a function called "Change Picture" that allowed me to swap the the gray image to another image of my choosing. After testing this,  the image still retains the web object functionality where you can click it and open it in a pop-up window. Thanks!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.