iPad issues

Nov 30, 2016

Hi,

The first issue leads to the 2nd issue so I want to discuss both of them here and get feedback from others to see if they are experiencing the same issues or have a quick / easy solution.

I have a quiz embedded in a Presenter 13 file using SCORM 2004v3 with html5. The question type is Survey / Essay. When a student tries to type in there answer on an iPad (this only happens on an iPad) it comes up with double letter entry. LLiikkee tthhiiss. So a few super-smart users created a work around by creating a note or type their answer in another app then copy / paste the text into the answer box. This allows the text to look correct but you get an "Invalid Answer" error box that states that "You must complete the question before submitting." (again only on an iPad). We do have it so the student can freely navigate using the menu on the left, but really I would like a solution that stops both the double letter entry and another solution that would allow a student to use copy / paste in a way that the SCORM file can see the answer that was pasted so they can submit an answer and move on with the lesson.

I attached a photo of the issue, the Y is a letter I typed with the iPad keyboard and the rest is from the note app that was copied and pasted.

We have identified that using copy / paste, on any device, can create an API error as well because somehow some of the text, that was copy / pasted, makes it into the string: cmi.suspend_data and the SCORM file does not like the spaces, or some other character, and pops an API error. I have not had the time to identify specifically which program needs to be used as the source text to create the API error, but I WAG it as a word processor or "notepad" type app that may bring formatting / style code with it when you copy. We have found deleting the cmi.suspend_data from our database that has "human readable text" (the answer they copied and pasted) in it successfully allows a student to open the lesson again, but of course they lose their bookmarked spot and might have to start from the beginning, a huge source of frustration for our students. 

1 Reply
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Steve, 

Thanks for reaching out here. I know there was an issue with iOS text entry showing the duplicate characters on Quizmaker files if you're using the Wrap SCO Window with API option enabled, it seems that some users were able to disable that option and have it work as expected. Is that something you could check with your LMS team? Some older forum discussions related to Storyline had users modifying the JS code as well to assist with this behavior so you may want to investigate those steps as well since this is still an open issue with our QA team.  As for the copy/paste element within an iPad and using a Quizmaker course, that's not something I've seen before either, have you tried clicking outside the text entry to set the focus of the question and then clicking the submit button? 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.