SCORM communication issues - help needed

Hi,

I've got users experiencing a SCORM error with some content build in Presenter.

I can't reproduce the error myself but I've managed to get a debug log from one of the users having the issue.  Can anyone help me interpret the results to identify the problem, as I'm not sure what I'm looking for?

0:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - AICCComm - Trying to create MSXML2.XMLHTTP in VBScript
1:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - AICCComm - intReCheckLoadedInterval=250
2:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - AICCComm - intReCheckAttemptsBeforeTimeout=240
3:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - AICCComm - IFrameLoaded
4:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - AICCComm - In GetAICCURL
5:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - GetQueryStringValue Element 'AICC_URL' Not Found, Returning: empty string
6:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - AICCComm - Querystring value =
7:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - AICCComm - GetAICCURL returning:
8:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - AICCComm - In DetectPreferredCommMethod, checking XMLHTTP
9:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - AICCComm - Checking IFrame
10:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - AICCComm - blnCanUseXMLHTTP=true
11:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - AICCComm - blnCanUseIFrame=true
12:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - ----------------------------------------
13:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - ----------------------------------------
14:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - In Start - Version: 3.3 Last Modified=09/14/2012 17:14:51
15:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Browser Info (Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729))
16:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - URL:
http://lms.e2train.com/O2Learning/LMS/SCORMPackages/b73d32c7-d6ec-4593-8cdb-59bd9b46fa60/index_lms.html
17:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - ----------------------------------------
18:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - ----------------------------------------
19:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - In ClearErrorInfo
20:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - GetQueryStringValue Element 'StandAlone' Not Found, Returning: empty string
21:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - GetQueryStringValue Element 'ShowDebug' Not Found, Returning: empty string
22:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - strStandAlone= strShowInteractiveDebug=
23:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Standard From Configuration File - SCORM2004
24:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Using Standard From Configuration File - SCORM2004
25:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - In LMSStandardAPI strStandard=SCORM2004
26:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Calling Standard Initialize
27:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - In SCORM2004_Initialize
28:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - In SCORM2004_ClearErrorInfo
29:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Grabbing API
30:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - In SCORM2004_GrabAPI
31:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Searching with Rustici Software algorithm
32:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Grab API, returning, found API = true
33:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Calling LMSInit
34:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - In SCORM2004_CallInitialize
35:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - In SCORM2004_GrabAPI
36:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Grab API, returning, found API = true
37:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Calling Initialize
38:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - strResult=false
39:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Detected failed call to initialize
40:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - In SCORM2004_SetErrorInfo
41:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - intSCORM2004Error=103
42:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - strSCORM2004ErrorString=
43:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - strSCORM2004ErrorDiagnostic=
44:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Error calling Initialize:
45:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Error Number=103
46:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Error String=
47:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - Diagnostic=
48:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - ERROR Initializing LMS
49:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - In InitializeExecuted, blnSuccess=false, strErrorMessage=Error initializing communications with LMS
50:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - ERROR - LMS Initialize Failed
51:Tue Sep 18 09:22:01 UTC+0100 2012 - In DisplayError, strMessage=Error initializing communications with LMS

5 Replies
Laura Robinson

Hi Michelle, I'm using Kallidus LMS.  I seem to be encountering this more often when there's a high amount of usage at any one time, so wondering if it's related to bandwidth affecting the connection to the LMS somehow.  Some SCORM 2004 seems to be fine and we get no feedback at all, but for large-scale rollouts, that seems to be when it's more frequent.

Laura Robinson

Hi Mike,

Sadly not, our fix was to revert to AICC for our publishing and lose the additional reporting data SCORM 2004 could provide.

We believe it's related to interruptions in connection due to bottlenecks from large numbers of people accessing at the same time, which then causes errors in the SCORM 2004 content (as my understanding is that it needs a constant connection to be able to record all of the interactions within the learning).

I have heard rumours of a SCORM offline player that may be out there and help with this problem, as this would potentially allow results to be recorded offline and then sent back to the LMS when there's a stable connection.  I haven't looked into this in too much detail yet though - AICC is keeping things steady for us for now.

Hope you find a solution (if you do, please let me know!)

Laura