Sound

Jan 20, 2014

I created presentations in Articulate 13 with sound and animation. When running on desktop platforms, the animations and sounds both work but on mobile platforms (iOS in particular) there is no sound. What is the problem? THanks Ron

13 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Ron and welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

Can you share a little more information about how you are publishing and viewing your content? Are you publishing to the web or LMS and are you learners using mobile Safari or the Articulate Mobile Player?

This article will help you understand which version of your content to display when your learners view it.

Jillian Haugen

Hello!  I am actually having similar issues.  I am playing my content through my LMS test site and some slides are not playing audio.  Also, I have restricted the slides so the audio must complete before the next button will allow viewers to move on to the next slide, however if the next button is pressed during the slide, the audio is just paused.  Why is this happening?

Thanks!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jillian!

It may be worth testing this in SCORM Cloud to help us determine if the issue is Articulate-related or if it's on your LMS's side. Let me know if you get similar results when you test your content there.
Also, just wanted to share that the articles here and here may also help clear up common LMS issues.
Charles Deschenes

Ok, since this is a fresh topic and it applies directly to my situation (seems like it), I'll jump in.

I'm converting a presentation made with Presenter 09 to Presenter 13. Our client's main reason was to have the mobile capacity. Once converted, it runs just fine on browsers in Mac + PC. However, here's the mobile result (issue being with "presenter videos" - everything else seems ok):

• Android (kitkat -- no flash): the html5 version shows the video window black, with no sound
  • iPad - Articulate Mobile Player: Video plays but no sound
  • iPad - Safari: Video shows the first frame only, with no sound

Thinking it could be a video encoding issue I tried to encode it manually and manually replace it in the published output (by renaming with the long filename generated). --> no change in behavior.

I thought maybe my sources had some corruption. So I created a new PPT document, with a standard template, and added a presenter video using a basic windows sample video. So basically all new stuff. --> no change in behavior.

I tried to publish as LMS or Web, changing encoding settings, with and without the iPad Player, with no change in the result. I'm a Web Developer, so I'm able to tweak stuff, but not willing to dig into for example "player_compiled.js". But if you provide a commented version... maybe...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Charles

Charles Deschenes

Thank you Leslie for your response.

To answer your question, the course was built with Presenter 09. The videos were added by the Video/insert presenter video option. The presentation and its videos are automatically converted by Presenter 13. I tried different video compression settings, including the default one.

But I also made 2 tests where I:

• Used an existing presentation, replacing the original/converted videos with new ones
  • Created an entirely new presentation with a video from a completely different source/format

The result of these tests were no different than what I previously mentioned.

As far as the HTML5 limitations, do they also pertain to the Articulate Mobile Player? I would think you made the application to circumvent them. As far as the compatibility chart, the only limitation about presenter videos is that they're not supported in mobile safari. But they should surely work within the Articulate Mobile Player, right?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Ron! That was certainly an issue that we ran into with our Storyline product. Have you tried to run without this mode? What version of iOS are you using? How do you have the audio set to trigger? Is is automatically or set to trigger by user?

If you experience unexpected issues with animations, annotations, the audio editor, or publishing, it may be related to your Regional Language Settings when using a non-English Windows system. See this article for more information and a solution.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.