Studio 2013 - Impressive but some inherited problems

Oct 24, 2013

Hi Articulate Team,

Great job with new stuff in Studio '13. Lots of new interaction and Questions have made the product a lot better. I also like the play and pause feature. Over all, it has improved a lot. Job well done. 

I have been playing with the trial version for some days, and the problem that  I have faced so far is, the frequent crashes. 

I have a PPT file with around 20 Engage Interactions. There is not much content in these interactions so far. What happens sometimes is, when I save and close an interaction, the PPT file crashes. It closes and opens again. This is something which existed in Studio 09. 

My office version  is office 2010. Will upgrade to 2013 help? Any other idea why this is happening?

Thanks, 

7 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Hassan, 

First, you'll want to make sure you're working on your local drive with all your project files to prevent any unusual behavior. Additionally, you'll need to have uninstalled Studio 09 to run Studio 13 on the same computer. If you continue to have difficulty, would you mind packaging up your course and sending it over to us so that we can take a closer look?

Carolyn Paul

Hi Hassan and Ashley.  Yes I am having the same trouble - very frustrating as a lot of the changes are not saved and I have to re-do them.  When I installed Studio 13 it automatically removed 09 so no problems with that.  Also when I published the course, there was no audio on a couple of the slides.  I am using power point 2010 as I thought I read somewhere that Studio 13 was incompatible with 2013.  PS. I have found that all office 2013 products shut down spontaneously as well!

Would it be ok if I send the course to you as well?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Carolyn,

Studio 13 is compatible with Office 2013, Studio 09 was not. You may want to begin by conducting a repair of your Studio 13 software first, and you may also want to repair Microsoft Office as well if all the programs there are shutting down spontaneously. You're welcome to share one of your files with our team as well, by packaging up your course and sending it over to us

Carolyn Paul

Thanks Ashley. I have tried your suggestion plus many more from Karla who has been most helpful. But still studio will not work in power point. I can create and edit an engage slide just by opening engage, but it won't work in power point. I have also checked all setting in power point and in security on computer re add ons etc but no luck. This is on my lap top only. Everything works fine on my desktop with the same programs. The laptop does run off windows 8 and I am running 2007 power point. Karla has suggested I try office 2013 which I will. But any other clues would be appreciated.

Cheers

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Carolyn,

Sorry to hear about all of the trouble you've had with this on your laptop. I know this may sound like a silly question, but have you checked for Windows updates on the laptop itself? I too had some difficultly with a machine running Office 2007 and updating seemed to help. Of course, I cannot say whether or not that will fix this in your case, but it couldn't hurt to try. 

Also, I'm guessing Karla's already had you check the system requirements, correct? 

I don't see a case number here, but if you'd like to share it, I'd be happy to look over the suggestions that Karla's already shared with you. If I'm able to find anything that may help, I'll be sure to follow up with you here. 

Also, if you do happen to move to Office 2013, please let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Jim Powell

I'm having the same problems... Presenter 13 never goes longer than an hour without crashing.  I hate to have to uninstall office... it would be nice if there were another option.

Just as a tip that I'm sure others have tried... one of the slides gets corrupted, somewhere and is the cause of crashes when publishing... but you have to figure out which one... so I have this one course that's 150 screens.  So I preview 50 at a time and make a note where it crashes... then I take that fifty and preview it and narrow it down intl smaller and smaller groups, till finally I can figure out which slide is causing the crash.  Turns out it was slide 105.

I then save-as "blahblahbak.pptx" and cut out the offending slide

then I attempt to preview it and if it  runs, I know i've excised the offending slide

I then create a new blank slide from the template and copy of the text (but not the frames) and reinsert the images and sound.  And voila.  Only takes me a half hour or less to fix one corrupted slide. Piece of cake.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.