Studio / Presenter 360 - Menu is locked after student resumes the course

Sep 13, 2021

Dear All,

Our organization is facing issues with Studio 360 and SCORM 2004 courses behavior. In the past we were using the "non-360", standalone version for couple of years and we didn't experience such problems with SCORM 1.2 back then.

Issue description: Upon resuming a course, participants are unable to use the navigation menu correctly. It doesn't matter if they finish te course or decide to resume it after a break (Would you like to resume? -> Yes). They are unable to jump to any of the already visited slides, as a pop-up message appears, saying it is forbidden (Notification: You may only view slides you have already viewed).

Configuration in use:
Player -> Menu Options -> Nav Restrictions -> Menu -> Restricted
Player -> Menu Options -> Nav Restrictions -> "Restricted NEXT / PREV buttons" filed is checked
Player -> Other -> Resume -> Prompt to resume
Publish -> SCORM 2nd / 3rd / 4th edition - same results

This is a huge pain as our participants tend to often return to our courses to refresh their knowledge from specific chapters, while preparing to tests and assessments. Now they need to either go though the whole presentation again or click "PREV" button like if there is no tomorrow - the only "walk-around" we were able to find, but... Some of our courses have 150+ slides so this solution is hardly acceptable.

I am looking forward to any suggestions.

PS: At the same time we are using Storyline 360 with same configuration without any issues, so I guess the player generated by Studio 360 is broken.

10 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Lukasz.

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the details of what you're experiencing when publishing from Studio vs. Storyline!

I want to connect you with our engineers to help you troubleshoot the issue you're having, so I went ahead and opened a support case on your behalf. You should hear from our team soon via e-mail. 

Mike Beeson

Hi,

Would it be possible to provide details on the fix here? I have also been experiencing this issue. We've updated a Presenter '13 build to Studio 360, and upon relaunching the course, all previously visited menu items are locked again with the same message "You may only view slides you have already viewed"

Paula Schmidt

Hi Maria;

Thanks for your response and clarification.  One of my teammates was thinking that after someone completed the course, it should be unlocked for them if they reopen it.  

I assume that SL won't know it's the same person, so I don't believe it is possible to do that in SL360 is it?

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Paula.

Take a look at the article below that explains the resume behavior options in Storyline:

This behavior might vary depending on the publishing and hosting option (for example, are you using a Learning Management System?). 

There is also a difference between Locked and Restricted:

• Restricted means learners can view the current slide and any slide they previously viewed, but they can't jump ahead or skip over slides.
  • Locked means learners can only view slides in the order you've designed. They can't jump ahead or skip over slides, nor can they go back to any previously viewed slides.

In Locked navigation, when resumed, the user will still be on the last slide they visited and won't be allowed to move back or forward. 

I hope this helps!

Paula Schmidt

Thank you, Maria.  

I have the player set to "prompt to resume" and navigation is restricted not locked.

I viewed the video I was sent again and found the user in question had unenrolled in the course, then re-enrolled, which brought them back to "new user" status, so of course the course would be locked for them in SL360.

Thank you again for your time and explanations.

Paula