Blank White Screen after upgrading from QuizMaker '09 to 360

Oct 17, 2018

We have two streams of content: Workshops and Quizzes
Workshops were upgraded to Presenter 360 without issue

Quizzes however were upgraded to QuizMaker 360 and now we receive a blank white screen in all browers.

Flash is up-to-date.  Failing in Chrome, Firefox, Safari.

We publish quiz.html to users.
What's interesting is if I rename the output from QuizMaker360's quiz_html5.html and replace quiz.html with it - 

The quiz loads fine.

Otherwise it's a blank white screen.
The quiz has been tested in the cloud, but the confusing part is that presenter 360 was executed the exact same way and we're experiencing no issues.

Hoping for insight vs trying to discect our LMS and where it may have problems - 

Any help is appreciated - 

Thx,

Josh

7 Replies
Katie Riggio

So sorry you're running into that problem, Joshua. I haven't heard other reports of this difficulty, so I'm glad you brought it to our attention!

Based on what you're describing, it seems that only the HTML5 output is affected. In addition to the LMS environment, does the blank screen appear when previewing?

Additionally, would you mind sharing one of your Quizmaker files with me so I can take a close look? I'd like to try to replicate this behavior and let you know what I find–looking forward to lending a hand!

Joshua Boyd

Thanks for your response Katie.  I've attached one of the problem quizzes to this post.

Just for clarity, it's like the mechanism from calling quiz.html that redirects you to quiz_html5.html is broken.

if I actually rename quiz_html5.html to quiz.html and point users directly to it; the quiz loads fine?

Katie Riggio

Appreciate your follow-up and the published output, Joshua!

To see how the course loads in another LMS environment, I uploaded the package to SCORM Cloud–an industry-standard tool for testing SCORM output–where I'm unable to reproduce the blank screen in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Here's the link to the uploaded content.

Hm, are you double-clicking the quiz.html file that's in the output folder you shared? Since you're using Articulate 360, would you mind creating a quick Peek screen recording of what you're seeing so I can try to replicate it? I'm itching to find the culprit here. 🕵️‍♀️

For now, I wonder if what you're experiencing is related to a security feature introduced in Flash Player 23 that disables local playback of Flash content. If so, the solutions in this article will help you work around this limitation!

Looking forward to hearing back!

Joshua Boyd

Thanks again.  Take a look at the attached Screenshot.  You'll see an example of a working version followed by an updated non-working version.  It doesn't like the following with the updated version:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'split' of undefined
at parseFlashVars (quiz.js:179)
at getInterfaceObject (quiz.js:173)
at WriteSwfObject (quiz.js:48)
at quiz.html:57

Katie Riggio

Thanks for continuing to dig with me and for those visuals, Joshua!

To clarify, are the screenshots of two different questions? If it's the same question, I'm curious to know why one URLs shows 5 while the other shows 2. So strange!

In the meantime, I'd like to enlist the help from our Support Engineers. I've created a case on your behalf, so you should receive a confirmation email shortly. They're rockstars at nailing down the cause of such issues – I'll follow along, as I'm super curious to know what's happening here!

Joshua Boyd

Thank you so much Katie.

Your correct.  I was lazy.  Instead of rolling back the broken quiz I used a different working quiz (from quizmaker 09).  

That's why you see the 5 vs 2.

I can roll back the updated (2) and show you it working with a screenshot, but the results are the same.

Are there server side requirements to hosting / serving QuizMaker 360 content, maybe I need to upgrade X on my LMS?

Our LMS was developed in-house with TinCan API.  The original administrators are gone so I am reverse engineering some of the setup - 

Thx again, look forward to hearing from the engineers - 

Josh

Katie Riggio

No worries, Joshua. I appreciate you confirming that, as those different URLs had me worried! 

Great question: No server requirements required or any upgrading needed. 😊

I see that you are working closely with Gren on our Support Team to isolate the cause of the blank screen. Thanks for continuing to reach out, and I'll continue to follow along in your case. We'll get to the bottom of this together!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.