Certificate of Completion

Dec 13, 2013

I incorporated a certificate of completion in the old Quizmaker 09 by modifying the report.html file per a great video by Brian. With the upgrade to the new Articulate Studio, the old certificate created with the report.html file no longer functions.

Any ideas how I can incorporate the same functionality using Quizmaker 13?

Thanks!

56 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Roger,

When you include the option to have the user print the results slide there is an option to have the user enter their name as detailed here.  If you're having the user enter their name as an answer to a question slide, that question slide and the other graded questions will all need to be tracked by the same results slide to display all the results. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Roger,

I believe we discussed this in another thread as well, and that you're hosting your course on a web server - not within an LMS that would also allow you to track the users answers and ensure it matches up with the printed certificate. Unfortunately if using that set up, there isn't another feature of Storyline that would accommodate your request, but there may be methods here in the community that you could implement. You're also always welcome to share your thoughts on particular features or things you'd like to see in new versions of Storyline by submitting a feature request here. 

Gerry Wasiluk

After looking at this a few months ago, I was hoping this might have been fixed or a new workaround offered.

I have client who has courses developed by another vendor and, once they are finished, then they turn the course over to me for adding the completion certificate and then integrating and testing with the LMS as SCORM 1.2. 

Formerly the other vendor was using the 09 Suite and I was able to pull the learner's name from the LMS using the previous QM 09 workaround.

But the other vendor just moved to Studio '13 (I tried to get them to move to Storyline 2 but that failed).  And now I have a new course coming from them soon that will require that I add the completion certificate.

Prompting the user to input their name is not going to work. The client demands the LMS supply the learner's name, for much the same reasons as Roger expressed earlier.   I'll be the one receiving her displeasure.

And Javascript for pulling the name from the LMS works for Storyline--as to why it doesn't work for QM 13 is puzzling.

Anyone got a workaround yet for pulling the learner's name from the LMS and putting in the QM13 report.html file?

Gerry Wasiluk

I'm still here, more or less . . .  getting too slow and forgetful in my "old age" . . .  :)

Yes, we got a solution to work.  At least it works with my client's Saba LMS.  Here is an actual certificate from the LMS (I had to black out some client info to show this here).

In the screenprint above, everything except my name and date is part of one image.

Attached in a zip file is a copy of the modified report.html that I used.  It's based on the work that the great Brian Batt did (from the link that Ashley provided above). 

If you're not comfortable editing HTML or JavaScript, get someone who is to help you out.

If you can, modify my supplied version here to what you need.  Follow Brian's video for where to place the report.html in your published output and some other things.

For this client project, the certificate used an image that is 707 x 529 pixels (due to client confidentiality, I can't share that image).  I put the image in the same folder as the modified report.html file after publishing.

The JavaScript in the report.html file does two things--it pulls the learner's name from the LMS and inserts on top of the certificate in a certain position (see the absolute left and right info in the example below).  It also puts in the current date.  for this project, that was all that was needed.

If you look at the HTML file, there's a few lines commented out that I did not need to use.  Lines preceded by \\ and in green are commented out (I used Notepad++ to edit):

If you can get the hang of this, you should be able to pull a few more things in in your certificate if needed. 

If you add lines, make sure there is a corresponding style definition for the line, as in this example for line one:

The most work is often positioning the inserted text to be in the right locations: re-publishing, re-inserting your new report.html file and image, and then setting up and testing that with the LMS.

The drawback with this method with Studio '13 is that the inserted data is only current when viewed and things like the date changes if viewed later.

To lock this info in at completion date, you really need to use Storyline and the use of variables and forced resume.  That's my preferred solution but some times things need to be in Studio '13 instead.

Again, thanks to Steve Flowers and James Kingsley for the assist with this.  Great folks.

Hope this helps folks!

UC San Diego  Health

HI, I am using note pad and was able to manipulate the report.html file in the past with no experience at all with scripting based on the now famous Brian video. I am glad to see there is a solution but I am not able to follow the instructions provided here.  Its unclear where to begin. What is erased from the published standard report.html file to incorporate the edits you describe? I see the line items marked in your image however, in notepad I do not have this option as far as I know. Can you screenshot the entire report.html file?

Thank you!

Linda

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.