Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Dec 16, 2012

Hi there,

I have been working on a quiz in Quizmaker over the last week or so and had no difficulty until today.

I was working on the file and saved and closed it prior to lunch. When I tried to reopen the file, a pop-up box showed this message: "Object reference not sent to an instance of an object." I was able to open other Quizmaker files.

I have followed the instructions on this support note: http://www.articulate.com/support/kb_article.php?product=ap9&id=zdmy7uq259x0

The pop-up box now shows this message: "Header checksum illegal." I have followed the instructions in this support note: http://community.articulate.com/forums/p/5192/28437.aspx#28437 and now get the same pop-up message which was occurring prior to uninstalling and reinstalling the program ("Object reference not set to an instance of an object.")

It is a large file with 160 questions but I haven't added graphics or anything else which would greatly increase the file size. Prior to attempting to reopen I had no problem with the file. I can open other Quizmaker files so the problem is with this particular file.

Due to the number of questions it is not practical to recreate the quiz. If I am unable to repair the file, is there any way I can recover or copy the questions from the file?

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Lisa,

So sorry you're having so much trouble with this. It sounds like you've already tried quite a bit to fix this. Are you trying to open the file through the Presenter/PowerPoint ribbon, or manually launching QuizMaker and then opening the file?

You may have already checked, but make sure that all of the content for the quiz is on your hard drive. If you are experiencing unexpected issues using Articulate software, here are some tips for managing your files which can help prevent issues.

Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 

You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).

Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names.

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.

Also, have you restarted the computer since you first saw this message? If not, try restarting and see if you still see the error.

Thanks, Lisa!

Christine

Lisa Sweeney

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have tried opening the file through both Quizmaker and PowerPoint. I am unable to insert the Quiz into a PowerPoint presentation - it says "Unable to insert the selected quiz. If this quiz is already open in Articulate Quizmaker, please close the quiz and reinsert it."

The computer has been rebooted a few times and I have sent the file to a different computer on our network to see if it will open on that computer (no luck). The file was created, edited and saved on a local drive, not over a network drive or USB.

Directory path is less than 260 characters and doesn't contain any characters/accents/symbols.

When I try to open through Quizmaker, the error message about "Unhandled exception/reference not set to an instance of an object" appears. If I click continue, the same pop-up box continues to appear. If I quit and try to open the same file, I get the error message "The file xxxxxxx is being used by another process or you do not have the proper security permission to access this resource".

Hoping this helps towards a solution...

Cheers,

Lisa

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for getting back to me! That is strange, normally you would only see that type of error if the file is actually still open in Quizmaker when you try to work with it in Presenter. 

When you get the pop-up in Quizmaker for the unhandled exception, are you able to click on a "Details" button? 

Does it say anything like this?

If Quizmaker stops working and generates an unhandled exception, click the Details button to view the details of the error.  If you see a System.UnauthorizedAccessException similar to the one below at the beginning of the error details, your Articulate files may be hidden or read-only:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. —>

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path ‘C:Users…xml’ is denied.

Please review the following article for more information and solutions:

http://www.articulate.com/support/quizmaker09/kb/?p=1374

Hopefully this will resolve the problem for you. If not, just let me know!

Thanks,

Christine

Lisa Sweeney

Thanks for your patience Christine.

From what I can tell, the details button doesn't say anything about an unauthorised access exception. It shows:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Articulate.Windows.Forms.CommandBase.Update()
   at Articulate.Design.Commands.BaseCommand.a(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at Articulate.Design.Commands.Command.m()
   at Articulate.Design.Commands.Command.DoEvents()
   at Articulate.Design.UI.MainFormBase.d(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(Form form)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.OnThreadException(Exception t)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at Divelements.SandRibbon.RibbonForm.WndProc(Message& m)
   at Articulate.Design.UI.Ribbon.RibbonForm.WndProc(Message& m)
   at Articulate.Design.UI.MainFormBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Quizmaker
    Assembly Version: 3.3.1103.112
    Win32 Version: 3.3.1103.112
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/quizmaker.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5460 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5462 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Articulate
    Assembly Version: 2.1.1103.112
    Win32 Version: 2.1.1103.112
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Articulate.DLL
Articulate.Design
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Articulate.Design.DLL
Articulate.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Articulate.Runtime.Remoting.DLL
Divelements.SandRibbon
    Assembly Version: 1.6.5.1
    Win32 Version: 1.6.5.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Divelements.SandRibbon.DLL
Articulate.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Articulate.Windows.Forms.DLL
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Shared
    Assembly Version: 3.3.1103.112
    Win32 Version: 3.3.1103.112
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Shared.DLL
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Articulate.Design.XmlSerializers
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Articulate.Design.XmlSerializers.DLL
ukgb0sgf
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Articulate.Resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Articulate.Resources.DLL
Articulate.AxInterop.ShockwaveFlashObjects
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Articulate.AxInterop.ShockwaveFlashObjects.DLL
System.Design
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5460 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Design/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Design.dll
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
Articulate.Web
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Articulate.Web.DLL
ShockwaveFlashObjects
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/ShockwaveFlashObjects.DLL
ccXmlGen
    Assembly Version: 1.0.1103.112
    Win32 Version: 1.0.1103.112
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/ccXmlGen.DLL
Articulate.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Articulate.Drawing.DLL
AxInterop.ShockwaveFlashObjects.Strong
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/AxInterop.ShockwaveFlashObjects.Strong.DLL
ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib
    Assembly Version: 0.85.4.369
    Win32 Version: 0.85.4.369
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.DLL
SandDock
    Assembly Version: 2.4.2.0
    Win32 Version: 2.4.2.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/SandDock.DLL
SandBar
    Assembly Version: 1.4.1.0
    Win32 Version: 1.4.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/SandBar.DLL
Articulate.Audio.Design
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Articulate.Audio.Design.DLL
Articulate.Runtime
    Assembly Version: 1.0.1103.112
    Win32 Version: 1.0.1103.112
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Articulate/articulate%20quizmaker/Articulate.Runtime.DLL
System.Web
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5456 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for getting back to me and sharing the error information. First, you might want to see if you can recreate this in a similar interaction. You won't need to completely rebuild it to try this, just make a short test version using the same interaction type (for example if it's a timeline interaction, just make one with the default timeline) save it and see if you can launch it through Presenter.

You may also want to try the troubleshooting steps outlined in this knowledge base article. I know it seems long, but this is because multiple operating systems are listed in the article. Just scroll down until you see your operating system and follow the steps listed. 

If you try the steps in the article and this still happens, please go ahead and submit a support case with us. If you can, please try to include the Engage Interaction file (.INTR) in the case. You should be able to attach the file on the second page of the form. If you get an error trying to attach the file, that's ok, just make note of the error. Also, since you've already taken so many steps troubleshooting this, be sure to provide the link to this thread. This way, our tech team will be able to see what steps you've already taken. 

I'm sorry it's taking so long to get this resolved for you. I'd like to follow the case progress, if possible. Please share the case information with me (you're welcome to do so here, or in a private message) and I will monitor the case and update this thread.

Thanks again, Lisa!

Christine

Lisa Sweeney

Hi Christine,

Just to clarify - it's a Quiz, not an Interaction. I'm not sure whether this makes any difference to troubleshooting? All questions are multiple choice.

I have a number of other multiple choice quizzes which I can open through both Quizmaker and Powerpoint. It appears to be only this file that can't be opened.

I tried the steps in the knowledge base article you attached yesterday. Still no luck.

I will submit a support case now.

Cheers,
Lisa

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Lisa,

Yes, I apologize, I meant "quiz". It would be the .quiz file. However, I just looked up your case (#00310119) and found that John has already tested the file. I took a look, too, and can't launch the file. I agree with John, it looks like something happened to the file itself that may have corrupted it. 

So sorry that this happened, I had hoped it was just an element keeping the file from opening. Hopefully, you'll be able to remake the quiz without too much work.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.