Problems with over 500 questions

Jul 15, 2013

Hello,

I'm using Quizmaker included in the studio 09 update 9 work on a file in which I have to include more than 2000 questions, but to complete 500 questions about the program crashes and closes.

Is there a limit to the number of questions that can be included?

Regards,

Alex Forero

12 Replies
Deborah Munitz

Yes we have a similar problem. We really want to have a much larger pool of question to select from. It would be better if each question were its own little file and that the quiz itself when loaded just had minimal information about the question and retrieved them as used. The performance of large pools of questions is a problem. The whole powerful aspect of being able to pull from a pool of questions is somewhat negated when you can't have large pools of questions.

Even a pool of 50-100 questions can take a long time to download. 

Matthew Kliewer

One possibility (if the course will be hosted online) is to use an online quiz/survey service inserted as a web object. We did this recently with a client who wanted to control some aspects on their own (the questions themselves, logic, reporting, etc). They were willing to pay for this extra service fee, and we just built it for them there.

The downside, of course, is the extra cost and the lack of consistency with any branding or other imagery. But, the quiz runs a little more efficiently (5000 text questions there wouldn't be difficult). Loading is almost instantaneous.

Phil Mayor

Alex Forero said:

Phil, thanks for your suggestion, but in my case I include 2000 questions.

THE problem is not charging, even that is somewhat slow, the problem is that Quizmaker crashes and closes.

I agree with Deborah, this is a big problem Quizmaker

Regards,

Alex Forero

You are unlikely to get 2000 questions in quiz maker, not sure about Studio 13, but 09 will not do 2000 I am sure. 

even ifit did it would need to load those 20000 before you ar allowed to attempt one, and it s unlikely to report correctly to an LMS or resume correctly. 

Deborah Munitz

The way we handle this limitation (which is still problematic) is to break our pool of questions into subsections and have one unit with 4 different quizmaker quizzes. So quiz pulls X1 questions from Y1 questions and the next one pulls X2 questions from Y2 questions and so on. Each smaller quiz loads more readily and it does help us to force certain types of questions to be presented (doesn't pull all questions of one type over another). Our problem is that doing multiple quizzes in a single unit has its own issues which I won't elaborate on here. We are actually thinking of forcing our students to take 4 final exams instead of just one. Presenter is great. Don't love quizmaker.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.