Quiz maker

Apr 26, 2018

I have 8 groups of questions that total 54 questions overall.  The groupings are important to me because I pull from these questions in other quizes.  I want to randomly ask 5 questions out of the total of 54.  I can not figure out a way to do this without combining all of the questions in one group.

Combining them would be fine if I couls "Save As" and have another quiz.  But I cant do that either. 

I thought about importing the questions into a brand new quiz, but I am having major format issues when I import.  The answers to the questions do funky things in the preview after importing.

Any suggestions.  I have attached a copy of my quiz file.

7 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for sharing your file with me! 

I took a look at the odd behavior you mentioned first, and I was able to do a Save as and an Import. The Save As showed everything worked normally and it created a new copy of the file, but I noticed some odd behavior when hovering over questions which I also saw in the original file (and when importing) where there is a flicker and odd wrapping of text. Is that what you were seeing on the Import? 

I'm wondering if it may be caused by where/how you're saving your file. When you're working in Quizmaker are those files saved locally vs. to a network/shared drive? If you could let me know a bit more about how you create your files and add in answers I can try those steps to replicate. I didn't see the same thing on a new set of questions I created.

As for the random pull, you can tell Quizmaker to pull one question from each group, but it can't randomly pull 5 questions from all the groups. Take a look at the tutorial here for the settings that you can use. 

Kevin Chilek

Thankyou for your reply. I work at Texas A&M and the computer
installations are managed by IT, and our desktops are actually not local.
In consulting with our IT unit the drive of my local machine is the D:
Drive so I save all of my articulate files to that drive. I keep all of my
Quiz, Engage, and Power Point files in one folder on that drive to minimize
anomolies while working on this project.

I "packaged the articulate file" and uploaded it to Gdrive, along with the
master quiz file. Feel free to poke around in it.

articulate
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Y1KKtpqOx5H-EECV

Kevin Chilek

OMG, this is so frustrating.  Now when I try to preview the Master Quiz the first group of questions is not available in the preview.  I get an error message:  "The slide target of this link is not available in this preview".

The preview sarts with the second group, and when I select a slide in the first group the error message flashes.

I have moved the project from the D Drive to the C drive so it is on the same local partition that the software is installed to.  I do not know what to try next.

Hi Kevin,

I'm sorry the frustration and problems with this continued through the weekend. I took a look at your new file and noted that the list of question in the menu wasn't accounting for the first group of questions either (screenshot linked). I tried using the "Reset from story" option to have the list reset to include all questions that that didn't change the list. 

I then looked at moving those first few questions from Group 1 into Group 2, and upon doing that they started to appear in the preview. I tried adding one of those questions back into Group 1, and it disappeared again. So it does appear that there is something amiss with group 1 as well.

Although the D drive may be a local partition on your computer, it sounds like it was behaving separately and could be causing these issues that you're seeing. Did you import these questions in from an Excel file or manually enter them into your Quizmaker file?  If you imported them, I'd attempt importing them into a new .quiz file that is located on your C drive. 

Kevin Chilek

I manually created the Master Quiz in Quiz Maker13 so that all of the questions I needed would be there, and I could then import what I needed into various quizes throughout the online module.  The quiz file had a quirk that kept the title from working so I submitted a help ticket: Case #01338117, Vira Inzon took that help request and imported all of my questions into a new file called Master+quiz, and returned that file to me with a working title.  Vira, indicated the original file was corrupt.

When I opened the file Vira sent me the formats were all shot!  So I went about the business of reformatting all of the questions.  Sense then nothing seems to be working correctly.  When I import questions from the Master+Quiz the formats get messed up again.... indescrimently answers are rearanged ie. false comes befor true. And the text moves on the screen when you mouse over the answers.  And now the file will not preview with the first group of questions.

I have installed Articulate 13 on a personal computer that is not managed by IT and I can be sure the drive I am working from is not networked... I still have these anomolies.

Adding to my frustration on the personal computer I am attempting to make this work on I do not have a license for the software, meaning it is not a long term solution (30 day trial).

Ping ponging these emails is not a great solution either.  I could really use some real time technical assistance.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I'm so sorry - I didn't realize you had a Support case as well. But if you're already working with our team in one on one emails, that may be the best method to continue. I've let them know about your post here and we'll follow along as well. 

File corruption is also hard to predict or identify the cause of. Here are some common causes to keep in mind. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.