Quizmaker 2013 ERROR: Could not load the file 'quiz_content/data.s

Oct 11, 2013

I upgraded Quizmaker from 2009 to 2013. I am trying to put my new test into a wordpress site. I keep getting a error message “ERROR: Could not load the file 'quiz_content/data.swf'” it works fine just using the html page. I took one of my old test and put it into the wordpress site and it works fine.

Here is the site. User name = jguffey Password = Guffey.

http://www.idriving.org/practice-permit-test/

Tab 1 new test using Quizmaker 2013.

Tab 2 old test using Quizmaker 2009

HTML page http://www.idriving.org/Test1/quiz_html5.html

Any ideas?

18 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi James,

Sorry I couldn't get back to this thread on Friday. 

I tested the first link, and while on the first tab (Test 1) I received the error. When I went to the second tab (Test 2) I was able to successfully get the quiz. I wasn't sure if both were created in Quizmaker 13. The second link worked just fine. Could you try testing the file in another location (such as Tempshare or SCORM Cloud ) so that we can determine if there is something in the file that is causing the issue or something in how it's being read by the Wordpress site? If you're able to replicate the same problem in one of those environments, can you connect with our Support team and share with them the .quiz file? 

Laura Foley

I am getting the same error when I try to embed the .swf for my quiz into a .NET page. Our department has been using Articulate Quizmaker for several years—always embedding the .swf into the lesson page (and not linking out to quiz.html)—and I've never had this problem before. I've checked across platforms and browsers; the problem is the same in Firefox and Chrome on my Mac and on IE in Windows. 

The quiz does run perfectly from quiz.html.

Continued troubleshooting assistance on this error message would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Laura Foley

Adding that I'm getting the same error with an Engage '13 presentation done the same way:

ERROR: Could not load the file 'interaction_content/data.swf'

I've looked at the source code for the supporting files to try to figure out where data.swf is called from; I found it in the meta.xml file (flashdata="interaction_content/data.swf"). But I still can't figure out why the data.swf file isn't loading for Quizmaker or Engage presentations.

Thanks again for looking into this...

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Laura,

I see that Vira did some testing, and share with you the following:

In Studio ’13, you can embed the quiz or interaction SWF files so long as the HTML or .NET page where it is embedded is on the *same* folder as the engage.swf or quiz.swf file.

If you need additional help, please let Vira or I know, and you can always reply to Vira's email from Support@articulate.com

Black Lightning

Thank you Leslie  for fast respond and information.

I just found out Articulate Storyline was much more powerful, only limited by my imagination. I recreate quiz using Storyline, and upload to my WordPress powered site using  free plugin insert or embed articulate content into wordpress by Brian Batt. Quiz load perfectly as I wanted.

Emily  Garrett

I just want to add that I am having the same problem with Engage '13 and Storyline '13. It worked fine with Engage '09. I am trying to add the .swf file as an animation in Lectora, but I get the same error. I can preview it just fine. I copied the interaction_content folder to the images folder in the published output. I can click on the swf in the published output and it works just fine there too! But if I try to run the course and run it from the course page, I get the error Couldnot load the file 'interaction_content/data.swf'. This makes no sense to me.

I also tried using the html file and adding as an external object but that didn't work either. It puts the whole page within the body tag. I even tried separating it in the published page html and put the head tag contents and body contents in the appropriate places but got other errors. I shouldn't need this since it works outside of the Lectora course page and previews inside of it without the html.

Eric Paparatto

I'm experiencing the same problem with Articulate Quizmaker 13. The outputted quizzes work fine when I load them up with the generated HTML file. But in our case we're loading the quiz in an iFrame. The HTML5 version will play fine if I disable flash, but with flash enabled it defaults to that version with "ERROR: Could not load the file 'quiz_content/data.swf'"

I do see the note about about the quiz being in the same folder as the page itself, but that's already the case here. Further, Articulate 09 quizzes work fine using the exact same iframe setup.

Kelli McEntire

I am getting this same error message only I'm just trying to view it on my own PC.  It was working fine this morning, but now every time I try to open the .swf I get the same error.  I did do a file save as and changed the name of the file because we needed to publish two different ways and wanted to be able to tell which one was which just by the file name.

Final project is in Presenter (with the Quizmaker file inserted). 

I tried publishing and viewing just the Quizmaker file to see if had something to do with Presenter, but I get the same error.  I tried re-inserting the quiz into PPT and publishing from Presenter; same error. I tried going back to the original file before the name change, re-publishing that and trying to open that, same error.   It's like none of the versions are working now.   I don't know what else to try?  Any suggestions?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.