Quizmaker 508 Compliance

Sep 05, 2017

Hi All,

I am trying to get some Articulate courses 508 compliant. Specifically, I am having issues with quizzes made using the Quizmaker functions. The screen reader announces the answer choices and that they are not checked. After a selection is made, however, nothing is announced. Is there a way through Articulate Quizmaker to get the state change of the button to be announced?

10 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Christopher,

Great - thanks for that info. I wasn't sure if you were using Quizmaker stand alone since you posted in the Quizmaker forum.

We do have this issue reported for Storyline 360 and it's with our team for further investigation so we can determine next steps. 

Depending on priority and risk, some bugs can be fixed quickly, while others take longer to resolve. Here's more information on how we identify and tackle bugs.

I’ll let you know as soon as we have an update on this issue! 

Crystal Horn

Hi Christopher!  We just released update 10 for Storyline 360, full of new features and some important fixes too!  The next time you launch your desktop app, you should be prompted to update.

The fix you might be interested in addressed JAWS not reading the selected state of your objects.  After updating Storyline, republish your course to include the fix.

Let us know if you run into any other issues!

Sandy Rushton

I’ve sent this feedback to the support team and they recommended that I test the quiz content with JAWS and Internet Explorer 11. This is what I observed:

1. Tab to the answer button. The Reader reads: “The text of the answer; radio button; unchecked; to change selection press up/down arrow”
  2. Press Space to select the option (not the up/down arrow). The Reader reads: “Space”
  3. Tab away from the answer button and tab back to it. The Reader now reads: “The text of the answer; radio button; checked; to change selection press up/down arrow.”

This means that the learner has no immediate feedback to confirm their selection, and the learner has to go through the question options three times (once to hear them all, once to select the one they want, and then again to be told that the one they selected has been checked).

When we design for non-visually-impaired learners we always visually represent a selection  in some way when an option is clicked: the same should happen over audio when the learner selects a radio button.
Leslie McKerchie

Yay! I didn't realize you had already reached out to our support team. Good call!

I see that Gren is already assisting you, so I'd advise continuing to work directly with her there and I'll add your latest note as it seems a tad more detailed than your last e-mail response to her.

Thanks so much for sharing that case number with me so that I could take a look.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.