Quizmaker Branching

Jun 04, 2013

I am going Live with our new LMS this Friday (6/4/13), I recently realized that one of my courses does not have the correct branching when you select 'No' as an option.  I have searched high and low, far and near to figure this out, but for the life of me I can't so today I give up...

Here goes...

I created a simple 1 Question\Survey, 2 Blank Slides

If you select Yes, then Submit, the question "branches" to a blank slide that states Congratulation. Then you select Next. The course closes and you receive a Passing\Complete status.  That is what I want it to do.

However, if you select No, then Submit, the question "branches" to a blank slide that says, Repeat this course. Then you select Next. The course closes and you receive a Passing\Complete status. This is what I DO NOT want it do.

Is there a way if an employee selects No as an answer they are NOT able to pass through until they go back to this course and select Yes, they understand all the information.

If there is another way to do this I am more willing to learn, but I have very little time and I need to do this 8 times for 8 courses.

8 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Stephanie. Welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

I believe the problem may be that you're creating these as standalone quizzes. Is that the case, or are you inserting the quizzes into a Presenter presentation?

If the quizzes are standalone, you won't be able to enable multiple attempts for the entire quiz, only specific questions. If, however, you are inserting the quizzes into Presenter, you should be able to set something similar up by modifying the options for the "Finish" button, etc. through the Presenter slide options for the quiz. 

Can you let me know which method you're using, please?

Thanks!

Stephanie  Nesbitt

Hi Christine,

The quiz is in a Presenter presentation.  I attached the copy of the Presentation.

A few things I have done is selected the Exit Tab, created the branching within Quizmaker to Finish when submitted and modified the Properties on the Quizmaker file to Finish upon completion.

I attached the Presenter presentation of one of the courses. I will send the Quizmaker file in another post.

Stephanie  Nesbitt

I attached the Quizmaker file.

As stated in my original post, when a user selects No as an option, the should not get credit for the course.

I believe it has to do with the quiz being setup as a survey vs. a quiz (i.e True & False).

Oh, I tested the course on Scorm.com and in my lms staging environment...

Thank you for all your help.

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Stephanie,

I agree - I believe the limitation is due to the fact that the quiz is a survey. Quizmaker and Presenter don't see the quiz as being "failed", so the option to retry the quiz isn't given. 

So, what you'd need to do is convert the quiz from a survey to a graded quiz - or at least that question needs to be a graded question. 

What you can also do is provide the content you used on the blank slide on a results slide. Then, just have the user click on "Retry Quiz". You could also do this with the passing slide.

I tried to set this up with you for the quiz (I'm not able to modify the original PPT, I would need a Presenter Package for that file). Would you mind inserting that in your presentation and see if it works better for you?

Thanks!

Stephanie  Nesbitt

Christine,

That is exactly what I needed.  How did you do that? I have wrecked my brain for weeks trying to figure that out. How did you create the branching for the quiz? Where are those slides?

Do I need to keep my blank slides from the previous survey?

I attached the Presenter Package for your review. Is there anything else I need to do? If not, is it OK for me to duplicate the quiz for other courses.

You are a life saver! Thank you!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Stephanie!

I remember doing quite a bit with it - but to be honest, I see a lot of files every day, so bear with me :D

From what I remember the course was set up as a survey and not a quiz. What I did was copy the content you had on the blank slides and place them in the "Fail Result" and "Pass Result" slides. I removed the blank slides after doing this, since they were not longer needed. 

Of course you can duplicate it :) It's your content, I simply moved it around. I mainly wanted to do this so you could see how it would look if it was a quiz instead of a survey. Since surveys aren't graded, they can't be restricted or retried when failed.

I hope this information helps and I apologize for not explaining it in more detail. 

If you try this out and still need help, just holler!

Thanks,

Christine

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.