Text Entry not working in Articulate 360 Review

Jun 26, 2018

I've created a series of interactions which simulate command driven software. I've set up layers to simulate the cursor blink. When I publish for the web or for an LMS, the text entry fields work fine. However, when I publish to Review, users are unable to enter text into the text entry field.

Any assistance that can be provided would be much appreciated.

Here's the link to the published file on Review: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/740a83b2-b125-44c5-a4b2-6990d1c8a342/review

I've also attached the .story file.

14 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hey Lynn,

I took a look at your course in both Preview and when published to the web and saw the same behavior I see in your link above.

Could you share your publish settings and what browsers you were able to get the content to work in? Perhaps that could shed some light on what may be happening.

Without the layers, it works perfectly in Review.

Lynn Kepford

Thanks for looking at this.

I've uploaded a screenshot of the publish settings for both Review and the web.

I tested the file using the Chrome browser. I just tested it using IE and it also works as intended there.

I realize it will work fine without layers, however, I need to simulate the blinking cursor. The only way I've been able to figure out how to do that is with layers. I'm open to suggestions for another method.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Lynn, thanks for sticking with us as we tested this further. After doing some more digging, I was able to recreate this problem in a new file. In a nutshell, when a layer opens, it takes away the cursor from the text entry field. This only happens in the HTML5 output--the Flash output works correctly.

You can check out this video where I explain the issue using my new test file. 

Since your layers "loop", meaning they close and open continuously, you won't be able to type in the text entry field in the HTML5 output.

Until we find a fix for this bug, I would recommend removing the layers so that the learner can easily type the answer in the field. 

Thanks so much for bringing this issue to our attention, and I'm sorry for the trouble it caused you!

Lynn Kepford

Thanks for helping out with this issue. Will you please have someone let me know when the bug is fixed? Having a blinking cursor and the ability to enter text after it is a crucial component of the training course I'm developing.

I've come up with a workaround, which is not ideal. I've just added the multiple cursors to the base layer for the length of time I anticipate the user to need to complete the slide. In the event that it takes longer for the user to complete the action, I've added 2 additional layers with the same cursor effect which loop. Their timelines are longer than the previous timelines. It appears to work. There is a margin for error if the layers change while a user is typing. It's also a time-consuming process. So, hopefully, a fix will be found in the near future.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Lynn! As promised, I wanted to let you know we fixed the issue you reported where the focus was taken away from a text entry field on the base layer when a slide layer was opened.

Install the latest Storyline 360 update to take advantage of all the recent features and fixes.

If the problem happens again, please record a Peek 360 screencast for me, and I’ll be happy to help!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.