Show layer after viewing a set of three other layer

Aug 10, 2013

Ok...I'm finally asking. I'm trying to accomplish something that I thought would be easy, but can't seem to get it to work...

What I want to do:

I have a single slide with 4 layers. On the base layer, I have three buttons that are set to trigger the display of the first three layer. What I want, after the user has viewed the first three layers, is for the the 4th layer (which I am using as a summary to conclude the interaction) to automatically display. 

How I've tried doing it:

My first thought was to create three true/false variables for the first three layers, having each layer adjust them to "true" after viewing the layer. Then have a trigger on the base layer to show the 4th layer on the condition of the three variables (for the first three layers) being equal to "true." Sadly, this didn't work.

Any thoughts?

18 Replies
Nancy Woinoski

This should work Tim. Trigger order is important. SL reads triggers from top to bottom so try playing around with the order.

the other thing you might try is changing the triggers on the layers so that they set the variables to true when the timeline starts instead of ends. You did not say how the user returns to the main slide from the layer but it could be that you are exiting the layer before the timeline ends thus the trigger is not being fired.

eLearning Development

Tim;

I made an example for you that does what you want I think.

Each layer has a close button.  When clicked it checks to see if the other layers have been viewed and if so goes to conclusion layer and if not goes back to the base layer.  It is pretty ugly to look at but the logic is there.

Tim

OWEN HOLT

I tried a couple of things - and this ended up being the one that worked.

Attempt 1: I set the trigger to check at timeline end instead of at the start. This almost worked, but the problem was it jumped to the result slide as soon as you clicked the 3rd button; so you never really saw the 3rd layer. So I made some more changes by....

Attempt 2: moving when you set a variable to be true based on clicking the close button. I really thought this should work... but it didnt. So....

I moved the action to check of all 3 variables where tru and display the results to the button on each layer. The logic being when you close the layer, it checks to see if it can move to the results or if it should return to the base. This seems to be working.

Carolyn Stoll

I'm having the same problem.  The difference is that my layers all appear on top of the base layer and don't have a close button.  I cannot get the summary layer (which is really a Next button) to show up after the other three layers have been seen.  I am attaching the slide in question.  I'm giving up for now and just going to allow the Next button layer to show up at the end of the timeline, but if anyone could figure this out, I'd be really grateful.

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Carolyn,

I'm not sure that I set this up to meet your goal...but it's worth a shot. I made a few changes from your original. I think if you compare the 2 you'll see them (not sure I'm remembering them all here).

I know I removed a trigger from the base layer

I changed the triggers on layers for Factor 1, 2, and 3 so the T/F variables are set to true when the timeline starts

Please shout out with any comments or questions.

John Denner

Tim,

This may be too late but hopefully it will help someone. I just started using Storyline a few days ago so hopefully I'm doing this right. This is just another possible work around to the other methods mentioned above and could probably be used for a bunch of other things.

The reason your slide trigger isn't working (from what I can tell) is because the timeline has already started and doesn't restart when you invoke the layers. Restart timeline would be a great feature BTW. You can see this if you turn on the seekbar and watch your timeline keep chugging away and never starting over. However, layer timelines do restart when revisited. I noticed this only when the layer property was set to prevent the user from clicking the base layer. So there is probably some other trick that uses a slide layer as your "base layer" so that you get a resetting timeline. Like I said I only have a few days of experience so this could all be wrong.

So my quick simple fix was to create a rectangle over the whole slide with no fill and set the exact same trigger on the rectangle as you had on the slide trigger. The difference was I put a mouse over trigger instead. So when you closed the third layer the mouse would be hovering over the rectangle, check the variables, and react accordingly. I didn't do anything else other than change the object that triggers the summary layer. No additional triggers but one additional rectangle.

Hope it works!

Michael Hinze
mari ito

Hello

I am having the same issue and love to download the attachements but I only get an error message. Could someone please talk me through the steps or direct me to a demo that shows how to overcome this?

Thank you.

I still had a demo file that provides similar functionality; show a 'completion' layer once three layers have been viewed. See attached.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.