2019 - A Spac(ing) Oddity

May 29, 2019

We are noticing some strange things happening with the display of the page numbers from my master slice in a new course since the last Articulate update.  I have the page numbers in a text box leveraging variables (now the new ones). Sometimes the page number gets hidden. Both Chrome and IE are doing the same thing. 

I thought it was the window scaling versus the locked size function in the player; however, there are gives and takes with both…

Locked gives you a very small screen and displays numbering OK…but the screen is small. 

Scaled gives you a nice big screen but truncates the paging text block.

The actual issue is the screen zoom/view.  If the browser is set at 125%, the paging in scaled is fine.  If the zoom is smaller, the page numbering disappears.  

Any thoughts on how to avoid this?

12 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lynn,

I gave this a quick test in my own project files to see if the browser zoom in Chrome was changing how the page numbering was displayed and I couldn't replicate what you're showing. I would love to take a look at your .story file, with your permission, to troubleshoot further. Can you share it here with me? 

If you need to share it privately, I totally understand, and I'll have you send it directly to our Support Team. We'll both delete it when done testing. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for letting me take a look. I uploaded it to SCORM Cloud and zooming in and out with the browser window didn't change anything about how the page number was displayed.

Since you wanted to keep this file private, I'm going to open a new Support case for you to share the details and we can keep the conversation going there! 

Logan Stahler

Hi Lynn-

We are experiencing something very similar with variables in text boxes and erratic display behavior when the browser is maximized to fill the screen. Did you ever find a fix for this? We are digging, trying to find out the cause, so we are reaching out in case this is the same issue. I sent you an email, too. 

Thanks,
Logan

Lynn Puhr

It has been a while!!! I'm trying to recall.  Ashley - if you have any recollection of the situation, please reach out too.  I want to say that it was more of a problem when I was testing locally and that when it finally went on the web server (for the LMS) it was not a problem. I saw your email - if you want, we can chat.  Have you tried doing a test load to the server?  Also, many 'sins' are forgiven with the updates in Articulate 360.  Are you consistent in updating the software?  Its a start. If I find anything more specific, I will respond again.  

Logan Stahler

Thanks for the quick reply, Lynn. We are always testing this via our LMS, not locally, and we are most definitely using the latest version of SL360. Our issue is that the variable text is shifting on the screen when we maximize the browser size.  When we reset the size to where it launched, the variable looks fine. It's some sort of scaling issue, but it is only happening since we imported other SL slides into the project. Frustrating!

Logan Stahler

Hi Lauren-

Actually, my case with Amlan was for a different issue. We do not have time to figure out why this is happening since the modules need to be launched this week, so we decided to lock the player at optimal size (which is NOT ideal). The odd thing is that this behavior only started when we imported these slides into a larger project, so something is not behaving as it should despite many hours of testing and trying different "fixes" found here on the forum.

Thanks,
Logan

Lauren Connelly

Hi Logan!

I've done some investigating and found that what worked for Lynn was simply uninstalling and reinstalling Storyline 360! This easy task usually gets everything back in order. Have you tried this already?

Also, if this is a recent issue then it could be a corruption error. Do you have any issues when previewing the file?

Lynn Puhr

Ah! Yes...  that was it!  I had a time period when I had to uninstall and reinstall many times particularly when I was upgrading old content (say from Storyline 2 to Storyline 360) when it would constantly bomb out on me. Logan - if you are pulling in old content and doing the 'upgrade' that could be it!

Sorry for my 'some-timers' Logan :D - but let me know if that is it!

Logan Stahler

Hi Lauren and Lynn-

I think our case is pretty unique, and I'm chalking it up to the complexity of the SL file. We combined several SL projects into one (none of which required upgrading). The one project that is affected within the greater project works fine on its own, so there is something happening as a result of pulling them all together into one file. Think of it this way:

We have 4 modules that were all stand alone projects; we will call them SL1, SL2, SL3 and SL4. All 4 work fine by themselves. We then took SL1 and imported SL2, 3 and 4 into the SL1 file. Since doing that, variables presented in text boxes within SL2 now display oddly, but only when we maximize the published module browser window.

We experienced some other headaches that came as a result of merging all of these files, so I'm just going to write this off to that. 

Thanks,

-Logan

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.