Visited vs Selected state

May 14, 2014

I know Visited vs Selected states has been discussed before, but in researching an issue I was having, I made an observation that doesn't seem to have been brought up before and I thought it might be helpful to somebody.

When a button is selected, Storyline shows both the Visited state and the Selected state - it does not switch between the two states. Contrary to what you might expect, the Visited state takes precedence over the Selected state - that is, the objects in your Visited state are displayed higher in the Z order than objects in your Selected state. So if you have an object like a green rectangle as part of your Visited state, and a blue rectangle as part of your Selected state, and you position those rectangles in the same position, you will never see the blue Selected state rectangle: it will always be underneath the green Visited state rectangle.

My workaround is to separate the two indicators - I now have the Visited state indicator on the left side of the button and the Visited state indicator on the right side, but it would be much cleaner if I could have them stacked. If Storyline reversed the Z order of those two states, then it would work as you might expect it to - Visited state indicators would appear as appropriate, and the currently-selected button's Selected state indicator would appear on top of the Visited state of that button, making the sleected button look, well, selected.

Hope this helps someone.

Chris

Chris

24 Replies
Chris Cole

Thanks Ashley.  While showing more than one state isn't an option, Storyline actually does show both the Visible and Selected states simultaneously by default. You can see it in the image below. The third button has been visited, indicated by the green light. The second button has also been visited AND is the currently selected button, and Storyline rightly shows both the Visited state (green light) and the Selected state (blue light).

Most of the time developers create states that look completely different from each other, and so are mutually exclusive. A button is red in one state, but blue in another state - the button can't be blue and red at the same time, of course, so in that case the states are mutually exclusive. But in my case below, the two states are not mutually exclusive and so you can see that Storyline is showing both the Visited and Selected states at the same time.

If I move the "lights" (just colored rectangles) so that they partially overlap, you would see that the green rectangle (Visited) would be showing on top of the blue rectangle (Selected). That happens no matter which stack order I put them in when authoring - Storyline always shows the Visited state on top of the Selected state. In a perfect world, Storyline would show the Selected state on top, as that should visually take precedence over the Visited state. Then I could position the two rectangles on top of each other instead of separating them out as I have done as a workaround.

But it's a small thing. :-)

Regards,

Chris

Tamara Tarasova

I am distinguishing Visited vs. Selected for the reason Phil mentioned. I am working in SL 360 and I have updated. I have 2 different problems with the states depending on whether the states have been created with a different shape color or with a different picture. On the slides with pictures my Selected  state does not show at all - only the Visited state shows. On the slide with different shape colors, the Selected state shows once I click on the shape but it stays like that after I click on another shape. It never automatically changes to Visited. I can think of a workaround creating a visual looking like a selected button on a relevant layer but it is a workaround a feature that is advertised as working.  Seems to be a bug.

Chris Cole

Hi Tamara.

Can you share the .story file so we can see what you are wanting to accomplish? Or maybe some screen captures?

Part of the issue you are having may be related to how Storyline shows visited states and Selected states simultaneously, and part of the problem might be how you have set up your shapes as sets (or not). If you can upload the SL file or some images, we could see how you are setting everything up and can offer some targeted suggestions.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Cole

Hi Tamara. When you right click an object, you should see the option for Button Set.  You can then add the object to an existing button set or create a new button set to add it to (see imaeg below).

Regarding your other issue of pics not showing Selected State; are you sure they have a Selected State? You might have to add that state to the pics.

Tamara Tarasova

Chris, I really appreciate you stepping in and trying to solve my issue. I tried setting those sets as you showed but that did not work.  I do have all the 3 states as you see in the file attached. When I click on one it shows me the light yellow (Visited) and  I can see a little bit of my red Selected state showing if pics in the states are not perfectly aligned. So this is exactly what you were describing earlier. Your workaround with extra lines worked in your case by in my case it should show the exact same shape of either one color or another. 

Chris Cole

...but in my case it should show the exact same shape of either one color or another...

Unfortunately, because of the way Storyline layers Visited state objects on top of Selected state objects, you won't be able to do what you are looking for since you are using separate pictures for each state, at least not using the built-in SL functionality.  You would have to create your own states and use triggers to change states back and forth as desired to show selected vs visited. That could get messy and be a maintenance headache.

Much easier to use separate indicators for your Selected and Visited states that don't overlap (like I did).

Or, instead of using different pictures for each state, have the original pic as Normal state, and then use Storyline's built-in color editor to adjust the color of the pic for the different states.  May or may not get acceptable colors using the built-in color options, but might be worth a try.

Douglas Roberts

Came across this discussion today after trying to create a button with both visited and selected states. I agree with Chris -- expected behaviour would be the 'Selected' state being top of the stack order rather than visited.

As an aside, it is possible to have all five of the built-in states shown at one time, but once a button becomes 'visited' that state will always be top of the stack. See the attached file for a little demo I made to clear it up in my own head.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.