360 Issues: Issue #2 Blurry Screen Recordings

Aug 22, 2017

Hello!

I am having issues with my recordings being blurry. Here is the scoop:

They are records as slides, not a video 

They  look fine, until I make a change to something, example: editing the slide and removing the buttons

When viewed, they will either, look normal, then go blurry, or be blurry and then look normal. 

It doesn't seem to make a difference if it is done in view mode or try mode. I use both.

I do not believe this has to do with screen resolution, as I have tried many and it has made no difference. I make my resolution the same size as my recording screen, not full size. and like I mentioned, it will start out okay, then the slide will turn blurry, then the next slide will look fine, then when you click something, it will go blurry... for example.

This is very hard on the eyes and... horrible ... any help is appreciated!

98 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with this as well Dana. I'm not sure if Traci reached out to our support team yet for me to take a peek at what's going on.

Is your issue within the project file or once published? You are welcome to share your .story file with our team here as well if needed so that we can take a look.

Bob Bachynsky

Hey guys thought I'd let you know I submitted a ticket last week about this item. Support is escalating this. What I figured out through experimentation is it seems to have something to to with HTML5. It's like SL is doing something to the screen shots when it renders them in HTML5. When I output to flash the images are once again crystal clear.  

I encourage everyone this impacts to let them know. I don't know about the rest of you but this is pretty close to a deal breaker for me.

Ali Goulet

Hey Bob! 

Thanks for popping in here with that observation and for letting us know about your case.

I see that my colleague Miker has identified this as a possible bug. I'm going to add this thread to that report as well, so that all this information is connected.

Once we have any news about this, we'll be sure to update everyone here too.

Thanks again for working with us on this, and I'm so sorry for the trouble it's been causing. 

Content Developer

Hi everyone, I am experiencing the same problem that, by the way, I think it is the same exact problem underlined in this discussion: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/screen-recording-is-blurry

Like Bob said, this is close to a deal-breaker also for me, and for anyone who is using SL for screen recordings.. any update on this?

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Dario,

Sorry to hear that you've run into an issue with this as well.

I wanted to share the latest from my colleague Ashley that was shared here:

Thanks for reaching out here - and we'll let folks know here once we have some additional info.

In the meantime, some things that you can check into:

• Use the latest updates of Chrome and Storyline 360
  • If you're using images or screen recordings, follow the best practices outlined here for best results (and here for screen recordings)
  • Look at using another browser such as Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. 

I understand the frustration and concern, and our team is actively investigating fixes and solutions for this issue. We'll let you know as soon as we can! 

Melissa  McKinney

Hello! For me, this has nothing to do with the browser. I do not even have to publish it to have this effect. This happens to me while I am in preview mode. It also happens when I publish.  It makes it difficult for our employees as well as customers to watch, as well as causing headaches.  This is a huge issue. I have yet to receive any updates from anyone in customer support about the ticket I submitted. 95% of my work is screen recordings.  Very disappointing.

Content Developer

I can agree with Melissa that this has nothing to do with the browser, I too can see this constant "switching" effect also in preview mode. In some browsers (like Firefox) it just looks worse, but the effect is visible everywhere. If It can help, my case number was 01270479. I'm interested too in having updates on this issue, it breaks the (apart from that - beautifully designed) "Screen recording" feature in SL!

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for sharing your case number with me, Dario. I see that you worked with Chino, and he identified this bug in Storyline 360:

When previewing a screen recording inserted as View Mode Steps, you will first see a blurry/dark static image, then the image will appear correctly when the video of the step plays. 

Our team is digging into this issue to find out what could be causing it and how we can resolve it. As soon as a fix is released, we'll share the good news here!

Content Developer

Thank you Alyssa, this is not a 100% complete description of what happens: The bug appears not only in preview mode, but also in the output. Moreover, it appears in all screencasting modes (try mode, view mode, etc.).

The glitch is very peculiar going from a blurry/dark mode (when the capture is in motion) to a nitid image (when the capture is still). Let me know if I can be useful in fixing this bug, I know first-hand that is bothering a lot of developers!

Christopher Corr

Hi Alyssa, All ~  I'd also like to chime in on this one ~ we are having the same issue with html5 screen capture video playback (software simulation).
((Likewise, is there any update to the issue of textbox aliasing in html5 output? I believe it was forwarded to development for resolution some years ago.))
Both of these are important to us ~ but especially the former.
Thank you

Crystal Horn

Hi Christopher, and thanks for subscribing to this discussion.  So that I can find out more about the aliasing issue, can you let me know what version of Storyline you're referring to?  Can you also drop a screenshot of this behavior and tell me if you're seeing it in Preview and/or published output and on which browsers?

I'd like to make sure I can match what you're describing to our documented issues.  Thanks!

William Grove-Fanning

This problem is happening to me too--in preview mode and when rendered.  I just updated SL 360 as well (3.17.16188.0).  Very, very frustrating.  I'm on a timeline so I can't wait for a fix in 6 months.  This thread was started 11 months ago. I also don't see how this is a browser issue--I see the problem in the standalone player (published to CD). Plus, for me, the video moves slightly from slide to slide.  What's go on here?

My case #: 01450312

Alyssa Gomez

I'm really sorry you're dealing with this, William. The issue Leslie mentioned above is browser-specific, but we do have another glitch we're looking into where the screen recording appears blurry and seems to move slightly when the action plays. It sounds like that's what you're seeing, too.

I apologize for the headaches this is causing you, and I'll keep you posted on any new developments.

William Grove-Fanning

An update: with HTML5 output to Articulate 360, tweaking the image/video quality to max quality as shown here: http://drops.articulate.com/agK2q6/h2beyzVO2f  does seem to help.  Not quite as good as the actual screen capture but much, much better. 

Is this an issue that Articulate continues to work on or do you consider it solved with the latest update?