360 Issues: Issue #2 Blurry Screen Recordings

Aug 22, 2017

Hello!

I am having issues with my recordings being blurry. Here is the scoop:

They are records as slides, not a video 

They  look fine, until I make a change to something, example: editing the slide and removing the buttons

When viewed, they will either, look normal, then go blurry, or be blurry and then look normal. 

It doesn't seem to make a difference if it is done in view mode or try mode. I use both.

I do not believe this has to do with screen resolution, as I have tried many and it has made no difference. I make my resolution the same size as my recording screen, not full size. and like I mentioned, it will start out okay, then the slide will turn blurry, then the next slide will look fine, then when you click something, it will go blurry... for example.

This is very hard on the eyes and... horrible ... any help is appreciated!

98 Replies
Bryan Frame

Hi Sarah... for video editing I like Camtasia.

For your project:  I would resize the monitor picture to have the inside (where you are pasting your screenshot) to be 16:9.  Then do your screen recordings at that aspect ratio.  Starting with the end (size/ratio) in mind helps me get crisp, clean screen recordings.  As Crystal stated, its best not to resize at all, however, you can get away with more if you are scaling and not skewing... hope this helps!

pietro zappaterra

Hello!

still same issue here:

- record screen function

- video on a single slide

in preview mode the video is crisp but as soon as published it gets blurry. see attachment

Following the suggestions above, I tried to capture the video with the same resolution as the slide it will end up but the capture are would be too small (I need to capture the full size screen and later work on some areas with the zoom)

any hints if not a resolution of this common issue?

Thanks

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Pietro and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :) 

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know what you are experiencing in your course.

When you were able to use the same size/resolution, did the issue of blurriness go away?

Have you taken a look at adjusting your slide size to accommodate a larger screen recording?

With your permission, I'd like to have you share your project file with our support team here to investigate what's happening. They will delete it when they're done troubleshooting.

Danielle Schisler

Although adjusting the slide size might help with screen recordings, I would caution people that if they're using the classic player, they might need to adjust the size of the text in their players if their slide size ends up a lot larger. And unfortunately, adjusting the size of the text in the player has caused different issues for me.

I currently have a support ticket out that was determined to be a bug where the increased text size in the player was cutting off the text in the tabs on the menu. I'm not sure where they're at with this bug - I submitted it early last year and still can't get an update.

SO, if you have a menu in the sidebar with tabs, be aware that the text might end up cut off if you increase the player text size too much to match up with your increased story size.

William Grove-Fanning

6 months ago Alyssa said:

"we do have another glitch we're looking into where the screen recording appears blurry and seems to move slightly when the action plays. It sounds like that's what you're seeing, too."

I'm still seeing the screen recording move slightly as the actions goes from slide to slide.  What is the status on this issue?  Thanks! 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sean,

Thanks for reaching out, are you also running into this issue with screen recordings or any videos inserted into Storyline? I saw in one of the other discussions you mentioned it was strictly Chrome and Review 360.

There are a couple of issues with blurriness in Chrome that our team is investigating now, and the only one associated with videos is connected to screen recordings appearing blurry and with a dark tint at the start and returning to normal within moments. Does that match what you're seeing? If not, can you share an example with our Support Team

P.S. - I only responded in this discussion since it seemed the most relevant to the issue you mentioned, but our team does open and read all the discussions you post in. 

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks for the additional information, Sean.

It sounds like you are running into something a bit different.

We have some documentation here on screen recordings, but I wanted to highlight a few tips:

• Make sure your recording area and slide size are the same (this will prevent any scaling)
  • Max size is 2046 X 2046
  • Multi-monitor recording is not supported
  • If you're recording a web app, we recommend Internet Explorer

I'd recommend sharing your .story file to our support team as Ashley shared above so that we can take a closer look.

Bérengère LITTY

Hi,

I've done some digging since we are experiencing this bluriness problem too. It seems to happen on Internet Explorer only. When I publish a screenrecording, it is not unreadable on Chrome and Edge. Only on IE.

Such a shame we have to work on IE and make our modules work on IE…

Still waiting for a fix.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi everyone,

Great news!  We just released another update for Storyline 360, and included a few important fixes that you'll see in the release notes here.  

The item you'll be interested in is:

Screen recordings could be blurry when inserted as view mode step-by-step slides.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Jenny Roberts

I see that the last comment was a year ago, but I am having this problem now too.

It seems that when the screen recording (view mode) engages e.g. click to engage a function, the screen blurs. when it flicks to the next slide, all is ok. This happens in preview and also after publishing.

Would appreciate if anyone could suggest a solution, before I move onto using another way to screen capture?

Thanks in advance.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for popping in to share what you are running into with your project.

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Jenny Roberts

Hi Leslie
Thanks for getting in touch. I had deleted the file, but fortunately it was still in my Recycle Bin. I had to switch to Camtasia to complete this job.

I've submitted the file for you to look at - 01910839

Kind regards

Jenny Roberts
Learning Services Officer
SW Learning On-Line (SW-LOL) | People and Culture
South West Hospital and Health Service | Queensland Government
197-234 McDowall Street | Roma | Qld 4455
T: 0404 058 440
E: SWHHS

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for letting me know that you were able to reach out to the support team. I see that Chino was able to help you out :)

It looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Sarah Keis

This is is happening to us as well. We captured a demonstration as slides that we edited and published as 1080p MP.4 video .When playing, the screen goes in and out of focus with the mouse clicks rendering the output unusable.  I have tried various quality settings and the same happens when published to the web. We have updated the software.

Is there a fix to this issue?

Vincent Scoma

Hi Sarah,

Oh no! I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this blurry issue as well. May I ask what version of Storyline you are running? We did release a fix for this issue in Update 35. You can find out which version you are in Storyline by clicking on the Help tab, and then clicking on About Storyline: 

If you are on the most current version of Storyline and still see this issue, please let us know!