508 Compliance issue

Jan 04, 2018

Hi,

I am using Storyline 3. In my course, I have provided Alt+Text feature for the elements on my screen. So for a menu button, I have provided the Alt+Text as "Button to toggle the menu panel." 

However, when we checked through Jaws editor, we noticed that it reads the name of the image file name, ie., it reads as "Menu.png button."

Are we doing something wrong? Pls help we have created a custom course, provided Alt+Text for all elements and now we find it reads the image file name as we see in the timeline.

Thanks

Hassy

7 Replies
Sajna Thomas

Hi,

I found a work-around for it in the FORUM - 

Possible Workarounds for the Articulate Alt-Text Issue

Douglas Harriman

4 months ago

I was having a similar problem, though not sure how similar my situation is: I was using images as buttons, giving them multiple states and applying triggers to them. NVDA was reading my image file names instead of the alt tags I'd given the images. I was able to resolve the issue by applying the alt tag not only to the image, but also, specifically, to the instance of the image within its Normal state. Also noticing that if I have separate alt tags on the image and the image's normal state, the normal state's alt tag is what gets read.

Douglas Harriman

3 months ago

Was building a project in Storyline 2 and upgraded the project file to Storyline 3 to take advantage of Storyline 3-produced projects not having a tab navigation bug I was encountering with S2-produced projects. Found that after upgrading the project to S3, the buttons within it were now  exhibiting the same bug I reported earlier in this thread regarding multi-state image alt text in S2. Since I don't think my previous assessment of that bug was fully accurate, I'd now describe it as:

For images in S2 that have more than one state AND a different alt text for the image (outside of Edit States) and the Normal state (within Edit States), the Normal state alt text is what will be read by the screen reader; if the Normal state's alt text is blank (but detectable), the image file name will be read by the screen reader. The fix for this bug is to give the Normal state the desired alt text. The best method, I found, for applying this fix is to give the image the desired alt text BEFORE creating any additional states; that way all additional states will automatically be given that alt text (however, then if you want to change the alt text, you have to do so within the Normal state). 

In S2, this bug did not occur with buttons. The button's (outside of Edit States) alt text was being read, even though the button's Normal state alt text was blank.

I've found in S3 that the button's Normal state alt text is what is (initially*) read by the screen reader AND that if the Normal state's alt text is left blank, S3 will automatically populate that field with the button's original Timeline designation +1. E.g., when first created, a button appears in the Timeline as Button 1. Its Normal state alt text is automatically populated as Button 2 (even if you delete the alt text, it will be re-populated as Button 2). All other button states appear to have the auto-populated alt text of Button original # + 2. E.g., Button 1's hover state has Button 3 as its auto-populated alt text.

*Other observations:

In S3, if a button has different alt text for its Normal state and outside of Edit States:

If you tab navigate to the button, its Normal state alt text will be read until you hit enter or click on it, at which point its outside of Edit States alt text will be read.
If you hover over it, its outside of Edit States alt text will be read.
In S3 and S2, if an image has different alt text for its Normal state and outside of Edit States, its Normal state alt text will always be read, even after you hit enter on it.

In S2, if a button has different alt text for its Normal state and outside of Edit States, its outside of Edit States alt text will always be read.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.