508 HTML5 Issue involving CSS

Jun 16, 2017

Hello! I have a question about 508 compatibility regarding HTML5 published content.

Our client's 508 tester disabled the course's CSS for a portion of accessibility testing. Apparently this is a standard part of their testing process. They conveyed to us that after disabling the CSS, the remaining unstyled content should be in a logical order (which it wasn't).

I'm not aware of this requirement, but since we are trying to make them satisfied with our deliverable content, I would like to ask if it is possible to change the order of displayed HTML objects after the CSS has been disabled.

I understand this is a strange request, but I greatly appreciate any direction on the matter. Thank you!

Edit: here is their exact phrasing: 

"1194.22 (Web-based Intranet and Internet Information and Applications) d (Style Sheet Dependence) Baselines: B22

**The order of the content changed and is not logical (22(d), B22)"

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Robert,

Thanks for reaching out here! I checked with a few colleagues on this, and was pointed to this resource. You'll notice the note here:

Note: This best practice is broad and covers the overarching functionality of viewing web pages without style sheets. Less than 1% of all users completely disable style sheets. Many accessibility standards including WCAG 2.0 do not require that pages be viewable with style sheets completely turned off.

Based on this and our current 508 support, testing with CSS disabled is not recommended by current accessibility standards and will likely cause issues with the Storyline output. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.