508 Keyboard Access Problem with Question Pages

Aug 22, 2014

Hi,

We've encountered an error where we can't use 508 Tabbing and Keyboard access on Question pages. We've tried several workarounds and are still encountering problems. Attached is an example file. Our 508 Tabbing Issue is:

• In our efforts to make our courses 508 compliant, we have run into an issue with 508 tabbing inconsistencies.
  • For click-to-reveal pages (see slide 1.2) the tabbing works fine. The text box and Continue button on each layer properly highlights for 508 tabbing. This is how we want things to work.
  • For the Question pages (see slide 1.3) the tabbing does not work as expected, and we can't figure out what's causing the problem. The text box and Continue button are both marked as visible for accessibility tools, but we can't get it to actually appear for tabbing. Do you know why the layers would behave differently on a Question page? Is there a reason why objects marked as visible to accessibility tools don’t actually show up in the tabbing on those types of pages? Is there something we can/should do with the Feedback master slide to fix this problem?
  • Is there a good way to avoid this issue when setting up template pages in the master slide and feedback master for future courses?

Any advice you might have is appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle

2 Replies
Steve Flowers

Hi Michelle -

That is really odd. Here's what I discovered. Any shapes that are placed in your layer over the top of your feedback text are not selectable via the keyboard either. This led me to take a closer look at your feedback masters. Looks like there is a scrolling panel tucked behind the feedback text on both masters. I deleted these and it didn't resolve the problem.

So I created a new story without customized feedback masters. These operated fine on Quiz pages. So it's something that was done to the customizations that's interfering with the key selection. You may need to create a new set of feedback masters. I did that in the attached file. The tab control works.

I'd still consider submitting this to support. Everything appears to be configured OK but something is acting like a black hole and anything in that zone within the box below the separator line isn't selectable with keyboard control.

Steve Flowers

Actually, I missed one of the scroll panels that was placed all the way at the top of the feedback master hierarchy. It looks like this was exactly what caused your problem. If you go into each of your feedback masters (including the top of the hierarchy) and delete the unused scrolling panels, it should fix your problem.

I think this is a bug so I'd submit a support case. It's a known issue that scrolling panels aren't accessible.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.