Flash Player 16 Issue

Dec 09, 2014

Hi Everyone, 

Adobe released Adobe Flash Player 16 on December 9, 2014 and, as a result, Articulate Storyline won’t open. Published content isn’t impacted.

We’re working fast and furiously to fix the issue and will release updates for Storyline 1 and Storyline 2 as soon as humanly possible.

Stay tuned,

Brian Gil

Head of Product Operations

*UPDATE* The issue has been resolved for Storyline 2 and Storyline 1. Please upgrade to the latest version of Storyline 2 or Storyline 1 as appropriate. Updates for other products are in progress.

287 Replies
Ivy Tan

I am still experiencing problems with Storyline 2 no longer working on my Windows 7 Home edition machine. I use FireFox and Chrome. I don't use IE, so flash on IE has not been working since I cannot remember when. I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version of Storyline2 but it's not helping. I deleted Flash Player 16 from Firefox and I'm now trying to reinstall it. Flash 16 will not install again. I don't see the status bar and when I click on the flash install exe, it tells me that only 1 instance of the application can run. So, now I am not able to get the Flash player back. I have another computer (windows 8.1 with Flash player 16 properly installed on IE, Chrome and Firefox) and Storyline 2 works there but it's such a pain transferring all the files over. I would like to fix Storyline 2 on my Window 7 machine. Does anyone has any clue as to why Flash Player 16 is not installing on my machine? It was installed previously but Storyline 2 did not work either. I got the famous message "IE needs Flash Player version.......". Of course, my IE was not updated for Flash for the longest time ever on that machine. I hope this does not happen again on my new Windows 8.1 machine. Flash is dysfunctional, it worries me a lot to use an application that depends on Flash Player being properly installed on IE browser. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ivy, 

I'm sorry to hear about the odd behavior you've run into with Flash player 16 and Storyline. 

I wanted to clarify about a few things:

• You'll see here in the system requirements, you'll need Flash player installed to work within Storyline, but not specifically do you need to use a particular browser - although our "preview" functionality is based off of Internet Explorer, you don't need to use that as your browser.  
  • If you've installed the newest update of Storyline 2, update 4 you should be able to open it on your Windows 7 computer with Flash Player 16 installed as well - if you've removed Flash entirely, Storyline will still not function. 
  • If Flash is not installing on your system, I'd refer you to your IT team or to reach out to Adobe for additional support or information. 

If you continue to have difficulty installing Storyline 2's update, please reach out to our Support engineers here so that we can gather more information about your system and set up. 

Astrid Acase

Hello Ashely,

How are you? I have not talked to you in so long!!!

I am back with articulate storyline. I would like to give my portfolio a refresh.

I see your team changed the look of the site, and is does look great! I lost that interactive quiz video that Monse created once. She was very kind in sending me the video and the instructions on how to create it. Unfortunately, I cannot find it. if you remember, that video interaction was very popular in our discussions. Do you have it, by any chance , please? I cannot locate her  e-mail within the community since the look has changed. Where is Monse Andersen? she is awesome like all of you heroes!!!!

Thank you Ashely!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lee,

I see no other forum posts besides the ones you have hear so far - but we're always happy to help you here in the forums. If you're unable to open Storyline 2, you can reach out to our support engineers here: http://www.articulate.com/support/contact/submit.php 

That will allow them to find out more information about your system and anything that could be interfering with this set up. 

Ivy Tan

I have another worry though. The university where I work is doing away with IE. All campus computers will default to Chrome. IE will not be updated and will not be used. How is this going to affect Articulate Storyline. We only have 1 copy of Storyline2 installed one of the machines. This has not created any problems thus far because they have not implemented the change. I have my own license for Storyline on my personal laptops, so I'm good but not sure about the institution's software.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.