64-Bit Storyline 360

Dec 16, 2016

Is there a way to access a 64-bit version of Storyline 360? I noticed what I have installed through the 360 suite is only 32-bit and I'm finding that I may be reaching a ceiling with performance while developing my courses. I click on pretty much anything in the app and have to wait a full second before Storyline 360 responds. This has slowed my production down significantly. I was wondering if there's a way to get a 64-bit version or if anyone is having a similar issue.

Thanks

Pinned Reply
Steven Benassi

Hi Everyone!

Great news! I'm happy to share that we just released Storyline 360 (version 3.82.31354.0), which includes a new 64-bit version of Storyline 360! Harness the processing power in modern computers with 64-bit Storyline 360. Large, media-rich courses benefit from increased stability and faster performance!

To use 64-bit Storyline 360, please update your Articulate 360 desktop app, then click the Install button next to the Storyline 360 app with the 64-bit and beta labels. The Install button will change to an Open button when the installation is complete.

This was highly requested, so we hope it serves you in your course creation! If you run into any snags, don't hesitate to contact our team in a support case.

118 Replies
Mateusz Szuter

I generally have given up hope long time ago, as any serious matters ... doesn't matter here and things that were implemented in another softwares years ago aren't even considered here. I guess we will never see 64-bit app as it will require to rewrite the whole application - too much money to loose ;) only hope is if windows drop all the 32-bit apps support.

However, reading all your guys problem I think you all takes Storyline a little too seriously or doing something really wrong. I sometimes get RedCross on layers or images, but for the long time that doesn't crash the app at all. I just need to restart and everything works good again.

I've opened now one of my recent big project - 160 slides, with almost 200 voiceovers and 1000 of high-quality images on every screen, (no video tho). Storyline takes only 550MB of RAM for this. Plenty left to utilize.

And to be honest, if you are doing big, complicated projects, like over 200 screens or more, that's not the proper way on doing courses this days. Split that into separate modules and your problems will be gone. Put the videos in the last, compress them beforehand. Don't use 5000x5000 pixels graphics when you produce 720p training. Don't use many pngs on one screen, go for jpg whenever you can. Maintain your resources! If you are indeed in need to make huuuuuge courses, also work on separate files and in the end import all this separate files into one and then publish. You know the project beforehand, so plan ahead of doing it. All this boosts up Storyline performance. I once was also angry about the time storyline took to process things, but gave it 2 day proper research, pinned down what was the problem and now I work quite ok with it.

However, with every update comes some new issues destroying overall workflow which is often left to be. Still I guess no other authoring tool have so many... versability like Storyline, where I easly can do many, many additional things that were never meant to be by the devs I guess. Gonna stick with the guy, let's call it though love and hope for more performance updates. I suppose the GPU acceleration helped a little with overall performance, so there's a light in the tunnel.

As someone mentioned, HR reps will be pleased because they can do their interactive powerpoint, but let's be clear - they are the main target for this software. Not us, the artists :D

Diarmaid Collins
Shannon Dunn

I think windows 12 will drop before we get the support you'd expect from $1000+ Per user software. 

Captivate's running 64 bit - Might be time for that change..

Woah, woah, woah... calm down there Shannon. Take a deep breath... breathe in.... and slowly, let it out.... there... you should be feeling better now.

That was quite a scare you gave us. Whew. There's no need to be so... uh, hasty!

As bad as some of the quirks in Storyline are, let us not get into the <bleurgh>... sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little... nightmare <starts frantically scratching bald patch> that is <takes deep breath - whimpers - eye twitches> the "C" word.

Shannon Dunn

It genuinely gave me a giggle!

I loved the Storyline software, relatively easy to use, makes sense and is quick to produce; however, in today's media-intensive crowds through videos, interactions, animated gifs etc. Storyline dies. 

Currently working on a project -

• ~130 VO's approximately
  • 1-1.5 hours.
  • Compressed slides (from approx 180 - > sub 100) etc,
  • used Jpeg and PNG's, gifs,
  • 12x videos

As soon as I attempt to preview the slide to QA/QC, the software stalls and won't move past 50%; I have to kill the process to get back in. I know it's not hardware - Running an i9, 3070RTX, 32Gb Ram, etc.

Let's look at this seriously for a moment - browse through the feature requests etc., and you'll see people asking for features that have been standard in other software packages for years; quite a lot have had no moment for up to 5 years (this thread included) - The moderates response is always the same - Tell us what you want, head over the feature request page and log your request; or I've raised that request on your behalf. 

We are paying $1000+ a year in sub fees for a software package that's only running at 50-75% of the competition. There are many other options other than the C-word, but at least with adobe, as expensive as it is, and non-intuitive software, they offer a monthly sub fee with software that covers 90% if not more of the requests. 

• 360 images
  • 360 videos 
  • VR headset supports
  • 64 bit
  • better VTT/Closed captions/Translation.

I know I only stay with Storyline due to a lack of time to learn new software and rebuild my entire portfolio/library into a new software package. I can only assume that many others within this community would be in a similar predicament. 

Eric Richko
Michelle McKinney

Oh really?! Is it that bad? As I mentioned in my last comment, I've honestly never even looked at Captivate, but my recent issues were making me wonder if I should. 

I've used Captivate, Lectora and Storyline.  Lately I use Storyline because it is far superior with tracking branching.  Pros and cons to all of them, but from the ability to have ultimate control Lectora is the best for me.  Plus doesn't have the issue with running out of memory due to being 32 bit only that Storyline has.  I don't want to migrate my current work due to size, but may have to out of necessity.  I mean come on, how Storyline not be 64 bit yet?  Requesting that feature update just keeps falling on deaf ears.

Diarmaid Collins

Honestly, it's been quite a few years since I last used it (maybe 5??) and it's probably about 7 or 8 years since I had to work with it full-time but to describe it as clunky would be an understatement.

If one wanted to do anything... "interesting" ... there were widgets. So many widgets. Lots of widgets to provide what I would consider basic functionality. That somehow one couldn't edit. If one wanted something to look 'styled' or part of a coherent visual plan it was frustrating, to say the least.

But, and coming from a graphic design background, it did allow for text styling functionality all those years ago. Something Storyline has only adopted this year. Incredible.

One of the most frightening things I found when I changed to Storyline was how 'loose' everthing felt. I could do stuff. Actual things. And make it look good. And there were ways of making it look like this, or this, or that and wow... it was such a liberating feeling.

There was something about working within the limits of Captivate (similar to QuarkXpress for any ol' pre-press workhorses out there <touches chest - "salute"> prior to InDesign) that made it kind of hardcore, like trying to write a book without using the word "the". Or ride a bike without a saddle. And front wheel. It could be done but damn, it took a hell of a lot of effort.

Sure, drop-down accordions are easy to do (ish) in Captivate and nigh on impossible (programmatically challenging) within Storyline but that has been the only thing I really missed from Captivate.

Maybe it's come on in leaps and bounds. Maybe it's loosened up. I dunno.

When I last had to use it, and subscribed and opened the slick-looking new interface of Captivate up I was kind of disgusted the way nothing had really changed. Like throwing a sheet over a bed of nails and hoping folks think it's comfy.

I'd love to know if it has changed. But I am not going to check it out. My therapist has told me not to go back there. 

Ever again.

<twitch>

Michelle McKinney

I wanted to share an update on this issue, which I had attributed to a new work laptop that was 64 bit. Articulate and the story file in question I was encountering issues with had worked fine on my previous work issued laptop

After working extensively with me through a support ticket, the Articulate Service Desk identified the culprit as a custom font that wasn't supported by my computer. I'm not even sure where the font came from - I imagine at some stage I downloaded a template from the community and it was in it. When I opened my story file a warning message would pop up indicating that the font wasn't supported, but I had gotten into the habit of just clicking "ok" and moving on with my work.  On my old computer this never presented any issues, so I didn't suspect it as a cause on my new computer. However, on the recommendation of the Articulate service desk I rooted out and replaced all instances of the custom font (using instructions at end of this post) and immediately my performance issues improved.

Over the course of 2 weeks working extensively with this large project I had maybe 2 memory related crashes - not ideal, but a HUGE improvement to the dozens daily I was seeing before I removed the custom font packages.

I don't understand why the fonts caused such an issue, but suffice to say, I was delighted to get to the bottom of it. Many thanks to the Articulate service desk who I had a lot of correspondence with on my issues.

How to replace fonts:

https://community.articulate.com/series/articulate-storyline-360/articles/articulate-storyline-360-user-guide-how-to-replace-fonts

Tai Saxty

This is an issue we see regularly. The cause of the issue is a system issue.
Windows can only allocate a maximum of 2GB memory to 32bit applications. This is a combination of all of the 32bit applications you have open. We quite often see that clients are using Microsoft Office applications and their installed office programme is the 32bit version.

Ideally they would need their IT department to give them the 64bit version so that this free's up the memory to be used by Storyline 360.

To see what you are using you can open up your task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and any open 32bit applications will have (32bit) after the name of the application.

The interim option is to get the user to close down the other applications so that Storyline can have more use of the memory so that the crashes stop and they don't get the low memory error showing up.

The only other thing we can do as mentioned by Articulate staff is to put in a feature request to the Articulate Development team and the more it is mentioned the more hope we have of them looking in to a 64bit version of Storyline 360
http://www.articulate.com/support/contact/submit.php?form=feature

I hope this helps.

Dwayne Schamp

A >5 year thread, and really nothing from Articulate on solving this issue, that's sad and shows a huge lack of customer support. Sitting on laurels and expecting those who use it to put up with it will not last much longer. 

64 bit apps have been around for 15 years, long before Articulate even started working on the Storyline360 application. I find it rather odd and it shows a lack of vision that there is not a 64bit version out or even in the pipeline at this time (or a Macintosh version of this software.) It seems that actual development has stopped, and only little shiny buttons are being added to keep the masses using this, while breaking things that used to work. 

I am having to restart the app after it crashes several times a day at this point, and am using actions that are built into the program (no javascript or external coding). I do have a lot of variable/text entry fields that are used for assessment in real time, and other interactions on the same layers; this however should not be an issue. I have over 6GB of ram free during use of the app. And as stated above over 5 years ago, have to wait for several seconds when updating fields or images to continue working. I have submitted so many "what were you doing when the program crashed" messages, it's nauseating. 

instead of adding in more bells and whistles for the upcoming major release, maybe focus on a stable 64bit, non-memory capped application that takes full use of the CPU caching and can access the GPU for rendering as well. For the money this costs, and the huge user base you have, it should be expected. 

Andrew Runkle

I feel your pain. I've since found ways to mitigate the issues but they are by no means fixes. I tend to stay away from building projects with too many layers added to a single slide and host videos externally using embedded links instead of inserting videos directly. I have also noticed if the file gets large that breaking it into more scenes than I'd typically use aids in testing things more quickly. These things have allowed me to continue projects and avoid the delay mentioned previously (and most crashes), but I really wish a 64-bit version of this software would be made available so that it just works instead of having to jump through hoops to complete a project.

Diarmaid Collins

Here's a selection of some... interesting NEW error messages that I have encountered in the last 48 hours alone of working with Storyline.

I have never seen these before, so... progress?

Whenever I get the generic "Somethings gone wrong" modal, my workaround is to close it and keep working. It saves time. I only reboot when I get giant X's on the slide thumbnails.

This is also on top of the MANY little glitches that occur within a slide, such as the new shuffle states 'feature' just randomly throwing my states into sequence.

I love all this extra hassle and pressure and working with highly unstable software.

Love it.

New error message 1

New error 2

New error message 3

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

here is an interesting link on the subject

https://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/2016/dec/23/downgrading-a-net-applications-from-64-bit-to-32-bit-for-the-webbrowser-control

ie11 was a big problem - IE11 is gone -> @articulate please move to 64 bit

disadvantage would of course be - no support for windows 10 (32 bit) - or create 32b bit and 64 bit application (as all other software manufacturers have been doing for a long time)

i don't know of any other software - that is still being developed - that doesn't offer a 64bit version

Dwayne Schamp

Over 30 crashes in the past two days due to memory issues with this, and only this, application. This one pops up now, as well as the ones Diarmaid is getting as shown above. I have nothing else open, Outlook closed, Edge closed, WebEx closed, PShop closed, even itty bitty memory user Notepad is closed. I'm manually saving after every change (something I thought I wouldn't have to do again) as I don't even trust the autosave feature. 

And I have researched others as well, and agree with Jurgen, no other software of any caliber or worth as much, still only offers a 32bit Windows version. They have all gone 64bit and offer full Macintosh versions. Did the developers at Articulate all quit? And if so, where did they go so I can start researching that product! I might have to go back to Lectora!

Shannon Dunn

2023 is the year that I look to take my team to Captivate. We'll redevelop all modules and close the storyline chapter. It is a shame, but as developers, would our customers accept the response and lack of communication from us as we get (or don't get) from Articulate?

Another benefit is that I can finally do the deep dive into mac...

Get Outlook for Android

Shannon Luke Dunn
Manager - HSSEQ Training
Corporate HSSEQ

T:
+974 44947205
E:SDunn@Milaha.com
HQ, Zone A, Floor 1
Milaha, Doha, Qatar

www.milaha.com

Disclaimer: The information in this email, including attachments, may contain information that is confidential, protected by intellectual property rights, or may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. Any use, reliance, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this email by persons other than the designated addressee is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message immediately from your system. If you believe that you have received this email in error, please contact the sender or abuse@milaha.com. No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of Qatar Navigation QPSC & its subsidiaries (Milaha) with another party by email. All proposals, discussions, agreements or contracts that are intended to be binding on Milaha must be reduced in writing and signed by Milaha’s authorized signatory(s). Any views expressed in this email or its attachments are those of the individual sender except where the sender, expressly and with verifiable authority, states them to be the views of Milaha. Milaha accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. The integrity and security of this email cannot be guaranteed over the Internet therefore, Milaha does not warrant that this communication is free from computer viruses or other defects and we recommend that you scan this e-mail and any attachment for viruses before opening. Any loss or damage caused directly or indirectly by the use of this communication is your responsibility. Our liability in connection with this email (including due to viruses in any attachments) is limited to re-supplying this email and its attachments.
🌲 Consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?

Diarmaid Collins

Another random ERROR message from Storyline

Here's another one from yesterday. Not as frightening as Dwayne's "unable to save" message (seriously??? like how utterly heartstopping is it to receive THAT message no matter how robust you think the autosave is?) but still, this kind of tells me that Storyline is literally fighting with my Windows somehow.

All I did was click on that Draw icon and there was a flash and the Explorer.EXE modal popped up as well somehow making the settings app, which was open in the background, semi-visible.

Had to force quit because the entire Windows environment was unresponsive. Storyline just hung then when I tried to open it - so I did yet another uninstall and fresh install. This is just exhausting having to battle with the software one is trying to make a living with.

Diarmaid Collins

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo.............

Do not say the "C" word, please?

Genuinely, even though Storyline is like an abusive and potentially psychotic partner in an increasingly fraught and toxic relationship, it is still a million times better than... that... alternative.

Awful, awful software. Though it is about 5 years since I last used it (shudder).

Rob Puricelli

The silence here from Articulate representatives is deafening.

Here we are, some 5 years since this issue was first raised and we are still no further forward, still completely in the dark in regard to Articulate's plan. I half joke that we will be using 128 bit systems by the time we see a 64 bit version and we will have to start all over again.

Given the significant amounts of money that we pay for either the standalone version or for Articulate 360, it is unbelievable that we are still exactly where we were 5 years ago and with no solution in sight. I am in the process of onboarding 7 members of my team to Articulate 360 from their current perpetual Storyline 3 licences. This will cost in the region of $10,500 pa on top of the $3000 pa we currently pay for our Instructional Designers. This is in addition to the 50+ seats we already pay for globally. That is not an insignificant amount of money for any business. And I am forever asking myself what do we actually get in return for that?

Like others here, I am seriously considering drawing up a proposal to move our organisation to an alternative solution. It may involve a significant up front cost and will, undoubtedly, be a nightmare to transition, but what alternative do we have? Throw money at something that fails to keep up with the most basic of requirements?

I sincerely hope I am proven wrong, but I fear the worst.

Avery H

Both you and @Rob Puricelli stated it perfectly. I've got no other options for an LMS because of the reps being happy with it.

For context, I'm sitting here with my gaming desktop that I use for work with 16GB of RAM, a 6-core 4.2GHz CPU, and an RX 5500 XT GPU. And yet, Storyline is crashing what feels like every other hour. I don't bother opening tickets because I don't have the time to work with anyone to "fix" a 32-bit program whose main issue is that it's 32-bit spaghetti code. I've sung all the songs and done all the dances to repair and fix it. Articulate has a memory leak problem.

The fact it's not 64-bit yet is outrageous. I build most of my graphics in other open-source programs -- which are all at 64-bit -- to throw into Storyline. If open-source programs can run smoother than a software that gets paid clients every month: Yikes, dudes. I dread using this program, yet I have to use it every day.

Rob Puricelli

I'm curious to know if the recently announced sun-setting of Storyline 3, and Articulate's obvious shift to subscription only, may finally see a move to 64bit for Storyline 360?

If we don't hear anything from Articulate on this matter soon, my organisation will begin actively exploring a migration come 360 sub renewal time.