Accessibility 2016 Best Practice?

First time poster long time lurker.
I read the SL2 Update 5 release notes and followup article tabling the criteria that Flash output only is SL2 compliant.

I presume this is because the Flash object is its own sandbox not affected by the LMS wherever it is thrown when published as SCORM.

When SL2 published output is HTML5, I presume any compliance is dependent upon how the LMS handles it, so beyond scope downstream of SL2 output.

If I'm correct so far my conclusion is the current best options for accessibility seem to be:
1. WCAG2.0 various levels using Flash output on SL2 Update 5+. One course for desktop use, broader LMS options.
2. WCAG2.0 levels specified by an LMS using HTML5 Tin Can xAPI output. Another course for multi-device use, narrow LMS options.
3. Assumed authoring in both scenarios to WCAG specification and testing to confirm level rating.

My scenario:
My 4 week assignment to kick-start course production for a team to be using SL2, and a new LMS in testing. I decided on master templates first and found Accessibility with a capital A as a priority requirement that has lead me on a couple days of reading/testing within the current configuration and a couple alternative "how committed are you to the new LMS you've bought/testing?" alternatives if my conclusions above are correct.

Seeking community feedback as I'm a lone temporary hire wanting to do the best by the non-profit client. I'm happy to present any inconvenient truths in a positive-constructive way in the early days. I will be training and handing over templates and a few first courses for demonstration to the existing full time employed "new to SL2" users who will be replicating this work with thousands of course design hours ahead of them. Your wisdom is appreciated!

Thanks,

DJ.

3 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi DJ.  Way to come out of the woodwork!  :)  We welcome all lurkers.

I'd like to arm you with this comparison of the Flash, HTML5 and Articulate Mobile Player outputs of Storyline 2.  You'll see that only the Flash output supports accessibility features at this time.  For reference, for the other lurkers: ;)

accessibility

Flash supported viewing environments are:

Adobe Flash Player
 10.3 or later, and one of the following browsers:

• Windows: Internet Explorer 8 and later, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
  • Mac: Safari 7 and later, Google Chrome (latest version)

This article summarizes Storyline's support of accessibility features.

And of course, we welcome the input of other community members about their experiences with making their courses compliant!

David Jones

Hi Crystal, I had seen that link, it does well illustrating where SL2 is at with established history and strength of Storyline Flash output, with the HTML and App as the developing options. This is the case for many other established authoring tools and LMS.

I've come from Moodle authoring in HTML/CSS and LMS hosting, but first time for accessibility as a #1 priority and WCAG compliance required.

Matthew Bibby

Hey DJ,

Here are some other resources that might help:

And here are some relevant discussions from the forum that with both help you build more accessible courses and be aware of some current Storyline limitations:

Also, if you want to search the forums for anything that isn't covered here, you may find that articusearch helps track down relevant conversation. 

I hope that helps. Yell out if you have any further questions.