Accessibility question

Nov 24, 2022

Hi,

I am tasked with working on a module that was created by a vendor but is not accessible so we have to quickly see if it can be rebuilt in Storyline 360 as the provided module failed almost everything.

I am doing a quick test and created a slide with a background image and a title and Start button

I created the Start button using a shape as the default buttons in the past tended to cause issues with readers.

In the Focus Oder section I deleted everything apart from the Title and the Start button. I am currently not using the player as we want to control the progress based on user input rather than the player.

When I test though, the tab key does not do anything but highlight the whole slide with a yellow border and then goes to the Start button.

Using JAWS, it detects nothing, wont read the title and wont navigate ot the start button.

alt tags have been added to the Title and Start button.

Any advice?

5 Replies
Darren McNeill

Hi, no I am not testing in Review, I export as a webpage and then let NVDA Screenreader work. I have understand now some of the issues, partly from my side as I do not use the screenreader as a person with accessibility needs does.

video is the biggest head scratcher right now. We are creating an Interactive video that plays full screen in a new slide. It has the Video player active. We need the video to play to a certain point and then it stops and two button questions appear and the user selects one, which when selected jumps to another part of the timeline. We are inserting Caption files for the video. Anyone know if the NVDA Reader can read the caption files or does it read the caption files and the video audio mixes with it?

Phil Mayor

You should allow the user to switch off the audio which does mean the player controls for audio should be active. Anyone using a screen reader will probably switch off the audio. I believe but happy to be corrected the captions should read in the screen reader.

Sent from my iPhone