Adding scrollbar to text entry field in Storyline 360

Nov 24, 2017

I have some courses that I originally built in Storyline 2. Some of the slides contain text-entry fields that gain scrollbars once the text begins to overflow.

I have recently moved these courses over to SL360 and the text-entry fields no longer gain a scrollbar, instead the text runs out of the field (see pic).

Storylin 360 TEB

Is there a way to easily add scrollbars back on to the text-entry fields that I'm missing?

This also happens in a newly created SL360 course so isn't related to converting SL2 to SL360.

Thanks!

39 Replies
Scott L

I was recently running into this issue, too. I did find that the survey questions include an "Essay" type, and that does allow you to set a character limit. However, this only allows you to show one field per slide. The character limit boundaries were up to 5,000 characters. The text overflow problem still exists if not using any scrolling feature.

Scott L

Hello Alyssa, glad to hear the team is looking into a fix! Since I am beginning work on prototypes and demo for a client, I'm curious if this is a fix we will see this week or next week. I'd rather avoid showing my client the buggy scrollbars and the need to explain it, and prefer to wait for the fix. I know Articulate doesn't go by dates of updates and such, but do you have a sense on the nearness of this update?

Alyssa Gomez

Hey Scott,

I’m really sorry that I don't have an ETA on the fix just yet. We're careful about testing new updates to make sure we don't put other features at risk, and I don't want to commit to a date before we have a fix finalized. You're in the right place, and we’ll share as much as we can, as soon as we can!

Scott L

I was wondering, too, but Alyssa put it nicely and I've come to realize that Articulate just has to take the time needed to properly manage their update process and ensure that the next update meets their requirements.

My guess is that while the community was starting to identify this particular issue, they were already working on other unrelated updates. They probably can't stop those updates and just fix this new bug issue, so they have to go on with their own internal update roadmap updates, and roll in this fix along the way, and only issue a new update when that is all done and tested.

I think it's rare that a bug is so critical that Articulate prioritizes an update ASAP. Coincidentally, the last update was that kind of update where it was needed because a new bug make Storyline not work for some users - December 15, 2017 update, https://articulate.com/support/article/Articulate-Storyline-360-Version-History

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Scott, are you listening in on our meetings? 😉 

You've definitely got it right - we have this fix for the behavior where a text entry field no longer generates a scroll bar in an input area for HTML5 scheduled for our next update. Once that update is ready to roll out, we'll post here right away so that you can install and keep chugging along with your projects! 

Crystal Horn

Hey folks! I'm happy to let you know that we just released Update 12 for Storyline 360, and you can check out the new features and fixes here!

Specifically included in this version is a fix to address some issues with data entry fields:

• Data entry fields that should have focus when slides load weren't immediately accepting learner input.
  • Text entry fields didn't always have scroll bars when learners entered overflowing text. 

Simply update Storyline to the latest version and republish your project to see the fix. Here's how updating Storyline 360 works.

I'm happy to hear how you make out!

David Tait

Thanks for the update Crystal. 

Text entry fields seem to get scrollbars now when text overflows which is great, thanks for the fix.

The only negative I can find is that when I publish an existing course the text entry fields automatically have a mis-sized scrollbar attached (see top right of grab). To avoid this happening you need to add the text entry fields again in the latest version.

Storyline 360 Text Entry Field

Do you know if this is fixable as I have 18 courses, all with multiple text-entry fields in them that need to be published soon!

David Tait

Hi Crystal,

I've spotted a couple of other things that relate to the text-entry fields, I've submitted these via the feature request page but wanted to add them here too.

When typing in to a text entry field in HTML5 output on an iOS device it isn't possible to scroll the text, when you try to scroll the keyboard pops up instead.

Also, it isn't possible to click in to your typed text to make edits, the cursor always goes straight to the end of the text and there isn't a way to force the cursor to appear where you want to edit.

These issues aren't there when viewing on desktop PC or when using the Articulate Mobile Player (AMP) on iPad but the problem I face is that:

• AMP not available on iPhone
  • My content is to be deployed via a SCORM LMS without xAPI support so iPad users won't be able to use the AMP.

Thanks as always for taking user feedback on board.

Thanks David for submitting those and continuing to share feedback and ideas with our team! 

The AMP was designed specific for tablets, and with the new responsive player available for Storyline and Studio 360 content, most folks have been using that instead of the AMP. 

As for the scroll bar issue you're seeing, are you using the modern or classic text in those upgraded projects? If you can share one of those sample .story files I'd love to give it a test! 

David Tait

Hi Ashley, as always thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have attached a stripped down .story file here that shows the points we're discussing.

Re: scrolling: This file uses classic text but I tried it in Modern Text too but nothing changed.

If you're interested you will also see the variable reference shrinkage we've been discussing here.

There is one other thing I've just stumbled across that I'd like to draw your attention to. When printing the screen from an iPhone or iPad, whether I use Javascript (as shown in the attached file) or the browser's built-in print function, the print dialogue dispays the following regardless of the orientation of the device and inspite of the settings allowing Portrait or Landscape viewing.

iPad Print Dialogue Storyline 360

Thanks again for your help!

Hi David,

Thanks for a file - even a stripped down one! Now through each of the things in your display. 

1. The text entry with the scroll bar - I saw the same thing in your project file, even when I duplicated the text entry box. Oddly enough, the odd scroll bars disappeared when I changed your story size. So here's what I tried:

• Creating a new project with the same dimensions, story size, colors, etc. - Couldn't reproduce it
  • Importing into a new project file with the default set up - Couldn't reproduce it
  • Importing into a new project that is set to match your original story size - Reproduced 

So there is something in the custom story size and this project itself that's causing it. Can you tell me any more about how you created this file, how you added the text entry, changed the text entry, anything that seems out of the ordinary? Also, I know you've been using Articulate for some time, but always worth checking the best practices here about working locally. 

2. The variable reference shrinking, I know you opened up a support case for that too! So I'll follow along in your case, but one thing I did spot was it only occurred to me in your file when the font size was set below 15 pts.

3. For the printing issues, I also see you started a support case on that too! I'll touch base with my team on that as well. 

Marcela Garreton

Hello, I have run into the issue that the scroll bar is not appearing on my text entry boxes.  I have made my text boxes a size of 36 x 173.  I am able to enter text, hit the entry box to add a new line, but no scroll bar appears even after entering more text than the size of the box.  If I change the text box size to 380 x 37, I can enter text,  however, the text is not wrapping (the text entry box is not expanding) and nothing happens when I hit enter to start a new line.

I have added a scroll bar manually, but the text box has to already be larger than the scroll bar in order for the scroll bar to work, which I do not want as I want the scroll bar to only appear if they enter more text than the visible on the text box. 

Hi Marcela,

I know our team was investigating an issue where a text entry box that is larger than 60 px high doesn't wrap or create a scroll bar, but it sounds like you're seeing that a scroll bar is missing no matter what? 

It would be helpful to take a look at your .story file to confirm if it's the same thing and check all the properties and settings you're using. Can you share a copy with us here?