Adding Sound

May 24, 2016

I am having a difficult time on adding sound when two objects match and disappear. I want the sound to be heard when the object marches the other object to let the person know that it's the correct answer. 

27 Replies
Christie Pollick

Hi, Danny -- Thanks for reaching out! May I ask if you happen to already have a file started that you would be able to share? That would be a great way to better illustrate what you already have in place and what you are hoping to achieve. To share, please use the grey ADD ATTACHMENT button the bottom left of the reply box, and you can browse from there! :)

Danny Ortega

Hi,

Here is the attachment. I am working on one of the pages that has the
dominoes. I am trying to add a sound once the correct dominoes match up
with each other, that way it notifies the child that it is the correct
answer. The sound should already be loaded, it is a sound of a bell.

Best,

Danny

Christie Pollick

Hi, Danny -- Thanks for your reply, however, when you respond via email, any attachments you intended to upload do not come through to be accessible here in the forum. Please click this link to be taken to the post itself, and there you will be able to use the ADD ATTACHMENT button to load your file so that others in the community can chime in with design ideas you can try. :)

Wendy Farmer

So you want it to play each time a correct drop is done? Not at the end when all are dropped?

Updated file - only the number 1 is programmed at this stage to play sound when dropped on the domino if state of number 1 is dropped correct.  Need to add states drop correct/drop incorrect to each number

Wendy Farmer

Hi Danny

1. Create a drop correct and drop incorrect state for each of the numbers (drop items)

2. Create a trigger to play sound when object (e.g. Number1) is dropped on correct target.  If you wanted you could create a sound to play when they get it incorrect as well.

See images below

Hope that helps and good luck with your project.

Wendy Farmer

Hey Danny

no problem.

SL has a number of inbuilt states that you can use.  Here is a quick video of what I did.

The first way was to create the state using the Edit states button.

Once I had the states created I could use the format painter to apply to the others.

Shout out if you need more help.

Here is a tutorial about adding and editing states.

https://community.articulate.com/series/4/articles/adding-and-editing-states-in-articulate-storyline-2

Christie Pollick

Hi, Danny -- Looks like Wendy has got you all sorted out... thanks, Wendy! :)

And as you mentioned that you are new to learning SL2, I thought perhaps you might want to check out the following resources:

Hope that helps and please let us know if you need anything more! 

Danny Ortega

Hey Wendy.

How do you add sound to the triggers that we created so that when the domino connects with the correct number it will make the sound.  Also. the previous demo you sent doesn't make the domino's disappear once they are matched up. Could you suggest another way to make the domino's disappear once the player matches the  domino to the correct number. I have attached the file that have all the triggers setup.  Thanks so much Wendy.

Danny Ortega

Hi Wendy,

I did not create a drag and drop, from my understanding is that you cant make items disappear with the drag and drop unless I am wrong. That is why I created triggers and made the dominoes disappear, let me know if it is possible to add sound with the triggers I created unless it is possible with drag and drop.

Best,

Danny

Wendy Farmer

Hi Danny

Slide 1.6 I have only worked on Number 1 and domino 1 and I have added an audio file as I couldn't find an audio clip in the story file.  This is for the correct drops only.  If you want to upload the story file with your audio clips for correct and incorrect then i can help you with playing the incorrect audio file when drop is incorrect.

Triggers I added:

1. Stop media 'audio file' when timeline starts on slide 1.6

2. Play media 'audio file' when Number 1 is dropped on Domino 1

3. Change state of Domino 1 to hidden when Number 1 is dropped on Domino 1

4, Change state of Number 1 to hidden when Number 1 is dropped on Domino 1.

Wendy Farmer

Hi Danny

the steps are in my post above.

You need to have an audio clip for 'correct' and if you want another 'audio clip' for incorrect.

Then insert the audio onto each slide and follow the steps above - which is for correct.  You would repeat them for incorrect.

If you want to upload the .story file with the audio clips you want to insert for both events, I'll do a quick video for you.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.