Adding sound to play throughout a presentation in SL360

Hi everybody 

I'm trying to add an mp3 file to the course so that it will play all the way through the presentation rather than start clumsily at the beginning of each slide. 

I tried the solution in the link below but that involves writing code and as I'm not an expert in that area I'm after a simpler solution. 

I also added the soundtrack to the slide master but the track begins again with each slide. 

Would be grateful for any advice. 

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/background-audio-cool-trick 

11 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Marina,

Have you seen this Storyline example of how to add background audio across more than one slide? It's a cool trick since Storyline doesn't have the built in play list functionality that you may see in Presenter. That example was created with Storyline 2, but you could upgrade it to Storyline 360 and take a look at how that works for you there! 

Mariana Valle

Thanks guys 

Derek

I tried that and it didn't work once I published it. It works fine if I play the HTML5 file but when I publish it to our LMS all audio disappears. Incidentally, if I import an audio file into a slide, it plays perfectly - even after publishing. Many thanks for your step by step guide. I will use that again once we change LMS to see if that is where the problem lies. 

Ashley

I think you'll find that this is the article I provided a link to and the the title of my post tells you that I already have upgraded to Articluate360. As I mentioned to Derek, it may be the LMS I am currently using but the fact remains that if I import an audio file into a slide using SL360 (rather than copying and pasting code), it plays perfectly when published. 

It seems to me that this is a significant shortcoming of the software to not be able to import a single audio file to play throughout an entire presentation. Even PowerPoint has a 'play in background' option for audio. Perhaps Articulate can provide the same functionality at scene or story level? 

Ashley Terwilliger

Ah, sorry for that Marina - I clearly had something else on my brain! I can definitely understand why background audio would be helpful. That workaround from Emily has always had good feedback. 

As Derek mentioned, it's possible the LMS is blocking the script. Have you tested anywhere else, like SCORM Cloud? It's a reliable, consistent testing environment for LMS's. 

Mariana Valle

Hi again and thanks for your advice.

I've loaded it to SCORM cloud but it still plays with no sound which leads me to believe that I have done something wrong, although the report said there were no errors in it. I have attached the file for you to have a look at and hopefully point me in the right direction. 

In the meantime I broke up the audio file into 36 pieces in exactly the length it takes each slide in the presentation to play and then inserted each audio file into the corresponding slide... so now I have sound throughout the presentation but there is a silent gap with each transition which is awkward. 

I need to revamp all our compliance training and I won't be able to do that using SL360 if I can't add an audio file and we've just subscribed to it. I'm going to be in a world of trouble for the spend if I can't use the software/subscription. 

any help, advice welcome. thanks! 

Mariana Valle

Thanks for responding Aaron

I thought I was the only one. I have tried different things but none seem to work for me. I'm sure I'm doing some things wrong (we're all human). Like you, I would have thought this would be a standard feature, as I mentioned even Power Point has the ability to play a sound file in the background. 

I can't keep using the software without audio, my learners do not want a click-fest and narration is really dry without a backing track.

I'm going to have to look at other authoring tools. Any suggestions? 

pankaj srivsatava

Hello Mariana

try attached SCORM package of your course and check if it plays audio for you now. 

the audio script needs to be added on launch pages, not on the detection page.

I just added it on following pages:

index_lms_flash
index_lms_html5
story_flash
story_html5 

hope it works for you! 

Mariana Valle

Thank you Pankaj

I appreciate your time and assistance with this. I noticed you used different code to that provided in the previous posts. The good news is it worked! The audio file plays in the background which is brilliant but I still have two concerns:

1)  The audio has a separate set of controls which doesn’t allow the learner to pause the audio (so the sound keeps going when you pause the presentation and then you view the last slide in silence)

2)  More importantly, it allows the learner to download the audio file which is a breach of the licence I paid for.

Obviously I can’t breach the terms of the licence so I can’t publish it to my LMS as is.

I would like the audio and presentation to run concurrently (as they would in Power Point or PowToon. This creates a much smoother end product and I’m struggling to get that with SL360. 

Derek, I have attached the Zip file and the audio file without alterations as requested. I'm hoping you can help me with this.