animation speed

Dec 02, 2014

Hi, with Storyline 2 I don't see a place to indicate how quickly the animation happens and what is required (i.e. click) to make the animation happen. Am I missing something?

I am finding that when I click on the object that I animated it doesn't happen right away. I am using the animation to make it look like a card is flipping over when it is clicked on.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Paula

17 Replies
Rachel Cannon

Hi Paula,

Animation timing is a little different in Storyline 2. You can manually adjust the duration of the animation effect under the Animation tab:

It's different, but great because it gives you a lot of flexibility. Animations are set to .75 seconds by default (in other words, the "fade" effect lasts .75 seconds), so you may want to bring it down to fewer seconds to make it look like it's fading in right away.

As for setting what is required to make the animation happen, select the object and then go to Insert > Trigger (lightning bolt icon). There you can set the action and choose "User clicks" under "When:" to make the object do something when it is clicked.

Hope that helps!

Paula Neuman

Hi,

Thank you for the advice. It is what I tried I am just finding that in the preview when I click on the object that I animated it doesn't happen right away. I click several times and it takes several seconds. I am creating a lesson for children and I am concerned if things don't happen right away they will lose interest.

Maybe the preview view is slower.

Paula Neuman

Paula Neuman
Humane Education Manager
BC SPCA
1245 East 7th Avenue
Vancouver BC V5T 1R1
604.647.5505 (Direct line) * 604.681.7271
1.800.665.1868 * 604.681.7022 (fax) * spca.bc.ca
[Legacy 2014]

Paula Neuman

Hi Ashley,

I had used the trigger and set the duration for the animated object but when I preview it and click on the object it takes 3 seconds to animate. I'm afraid this will not be great for kids.

Is there any way I can speed up the time it takes to start the animation when the object is clicked on?

Paula

Paula Neuman
Humane Education Manager
BC SPCA
1245 East 7th Avenue
Vancouver BC V5T 1R1
[Legacy 2014]

Paula Neuman

Hi Rachel,

One thing that occurred to me is that the object I am animating is a grouped object. Do I have to trigger each item and animate each item in the group to make it faster?

These are the triggers I used for the grouped object

[cid:image002.png@01D00E0C.87019A50]

Humane Education Manager
BC SPCA
1245 East 7th Avenue
Vancouver BC V5T 1R1
[Legacy 2014]

Rachel Cannon

Hi Paula,

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to view the image you posted, but having the triggered object grouped should be fine in Storyline 2 (I had a problem with that once in SL1). I'm wondering... is the animation that occurs after the student clicks on the object an 'exit' animation? If so, you would need to adjust the timeline of the object with the exit animation. So, if the object is 3 seconds long in the timeline, it will take 3 seconds for it to occur. To make an animation occur immediately, it would need to be this length:

Let me know if that helps at all. Sorry for the back-and-forth!

Paula Neuman

Hi Rachel,

I couldn’t see the image that was in your email To make an animation occur immediately, it would need to be this length:

[Image removed by sender.]
What I’m trying to do is have a “card” flip over when the user clicks on it. If I shorten the timeline of the grouped object (card) then it won’t appear for the entire slide. I want the animation to occur on the click. The trigger is then to show the layer which is the other side of the card.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your quick response to my questions.

Paula

Paula Neuman
Humane Education Manager
BC SPCA
1245 East 7th Avenue
Vancouver BC V5T 1R1
604.647.5505 (Direct line) • 604.681.7271
1.800.665.1868 • 604.681.7022 (fax) • spca.bc.ca
[Legacy 2014]

Kevin Thorn

Hi Paula,

In addition to Rachel's help and suggestions, have you thought of using object states instead of animation?

The context of your project is clear now that you want to 'flip' a card when the user clicks. The idea would be to add an object state to the card image and name it something like, "on". Then a simple trigger to "Change the State of..." to the "on" state when the user clicks. This approach would be an immediate change without the need for animation.

Hope that helps.

Paula Neuman

Hi Kevin,
That is an option I have considered but I was hoping to use the swivel animation for better affect.

Is there any way to use animations other than exit and entrance? This seems quite limiting? In PowerPoint it is available to animate on a click. I tried the motion path which you can trigger but none of the paths mimic a flip/swivel.

Maybe this is something to be considered for an update to Storyline 2. The one other thing that would be nice would be to limit the number of swivels.

The new motion paths are a great addition by the way. I haven’t made use of them yet but I know I will once I get this one figured out.

I do appreciate the support and quick response to my questions. You guys are great.

Paula

Paula Neuman
Humane Education Manager
BC SPCA
1245 East 7th Avenue
Vancouver BC V5T 1R1
604.647.5505 (Direct line) • 604.681.7271
1.800.665.1868 • 604.681.7022 (fax) • spca.bc.ca
[Legacy 2014]

Kevin Thorn

Hi Paula,

Here you go. It's a bit of hack where you have to trick Storyline's object states.

As you know you can add a new state to any object. However, by default object states cannot be animated. Used to be able to in SL1. Storyline 2 thinks it can't. :)

The trick is to approach it from the inside out.

Create two shapes. One is for the main card you want users to click. The second shape is animated with the Swivel effect. Once you animate the second shape, cut (Ctrl+X) so it's on your clipboard.

Next, edit the state of the first shape and add a new state. Once the new state is added, delete the default shape (copied from the Normal state). Don't delete the new state...just the shape *inside* the state.  Next, paste the animated shape you cut earlier into that new state.

Although you can't animate an object's state by default, Storyline ignores if you paste something into a state that's already animated.

All that's left is add a trigger to the shape to change its state to the new state when the user clicks.

Example with steps to setup attached.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.