Answers No Longer Reporting to LMS

Oct 20, 2020

For years, quizzes we created in Storyline 360 would report answers to our learning management system (SumTotal). We would typically upload as SCORM 2004 or SCORM 1.2. 

We recently added new versions of a few courses to the LMS and the answers are no longer reporting. We believe the issue starts in Storyline 360, but can't find any settings that have been changed. Has anyone else navigated this issue? 

10 Replies
Russell Engoran

I have not experienced that issue, but I would first verify which SCORM standard(s) you used previously. SCORM 2004 and SCORM 1.2 are pretty different in how/what interaction data is captured, what it's called, and what field it goes into.

Perhaps your previous courses, the ones that recorded question-level data, were all in a version of SCORM 2004?  Just speculating.   It wasn't until SCORM 2004 3rd Edition that the spec defined interactions “as a collection of information" in a somewhat friendly format that LMS's seemed to handle more readily.

Again, I am just speculating at the difficulty you are experiencing and I hope you are able to sort it out.

For my needs, I would always recommend using SCORM 2004 if question-level data is important to you so maybe give that a try with your new courses if you are not already?  I hope that helps.

Joe Caruso

I have been have what I believe to be a similar issue. I had a group of Storyline modules created approximately a year ago. They give proper credit upon completion. However I had another developer create additional Storyline modules and we can not get them setup to give course credit when completed. I have tested both sets in Scorm Cloud and they both work. I even hired someone to troubleshoot my LMS and they can not find anything wrong. After some additional digging they are saying that the output files in my new modules is the problem, specifically in the story.html file. I have tried to create a matching out put with every configuration in the publish settings but I can not get them to match.

In the one that is working I have the following line of code: lmsEnabled: true, tincanEnabled: false, aoEnabled: false

In the one that is not working it says: lmsPresent: true, tinCanPresent: false, cmi5Present: false, aoSupport: false

I can not for the life of me figure out what is going on. Can anyone help?

Nicole Speranza

Isn't it great when the first reply fixes the issue? 

Our default export settings were SCORM 2004, 2nd edition. They must have been changed accidentally at some point in the past few months. After updating the settings to 3rd edition, the answers began reporting without issue. 

Thank you so much!

Morgan Kotze

Good day. Have your issue been fixed or did you find any solution yet?

We are experiencing a likewise issue, but when we publish for TinCan as well.

Since updating storyline to the new update 11, the TinCan story.html writes the following when published:

lmsEnabled: false,       

tincanEnabled: false, (This should be, and was in previous storyline versions TRUE)

aoEnabled: false,

Also, when published, the folder produces 14 files, where in older versions it produced 10.

 

We really need to resolve this issue or just figure out why our modules that are being re-published after updating storyline, is no longer tracking or receiving any question responses or results to our LMS.

Any info surrounding this would really help.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Morgan and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Thanks for reaching out and explaining what you are experiencing as well. With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.