Any Known Issues with Text Entry in Storyline 360?

Dec 29, 2017

Hello!

I just completed a project using Nextchas to advance to the next screen instead of "Next" buttons.  Text entry and triggers work fine in Preview mode, but when I publish the project, the text entry does not accept the correct answer as correct.  I have quintuple-checked my trigger set-up, conditions, and spelling, and nothing seems amiss.  Any suggestions as to what might be wrong here?

I am using Storyline 360 with HTML 5 output.  The project automatically opens in MS Explorer/Edge.

Thanks!

16 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi Scarlett!  You mentioned that your project automatically opens in Edge.  After publishing, are you hosting your content in a web environment or an LMS?

I would first check your file in a live environment.  I'm happy to take your .story file and test it on my end as well.

Also, are you entering numbers in the text entry field?  I've seen issues with using numbers as answers in a text entry field rather than using a numerical entry field instead.

Either way, we're happy to explore what's happening with you!

Scarlett Brooks

Hi, Crystal!

Thanks for your reply.  I am not yet hosting my content in an LMS.  Our organization is currently deeply involved in a two-pronged project: setting up an LMS and building out existing Power Point presentations for online/distance delivery.  What I've been doing is using the "publishing" option to enable the "feedback" feature so I can send finished modules to the content experts for review.  

Is there another way to send a draft for for feedback WITHOUT publishing first?  The content experts at my organization LOVE being able to write the feedback, press "Enter", and know I get it (and can address it) right away.

To answer your second question, the Nextchas prompt learners to enter text in the field, usually one word.  If the learner enters a correct answer, he/she is advanced to the next section.  If he/she enters an incorrect response, he/she is directed back to the slide with the answer, and then back to the Nextcha slide.

Right now, what I'm experiencing is that the program will reject a correct response the first time, direct the learner back to the slide with the answer, and then accept the very same answer as correct the second time.

It's a weird glitch that started happening just today; I've been authoring in Storyline 360 and shaking things up with Nextchas (a brilliant idea, BTW) for months...

I could very well send it out to reviewers as-is, explaining that they have to enter the correct answer twice and that the glitch will likely go away when the project is uploaded to the LMS, but my content experts are attorneys.  I don't know that they'd have a whole lot of patience with a glitch like that.

Help!

Scarlett Brooks

Good Morning!

The part of the presentation that is giving me trouble is attached.  For me, it works fine in Preview, but when the project is published, the correct answer must be typed twice in order to get past the "Sorry" screen.  Tried it again this morning, and the glitch is still there. :-/

Wendy Farmer

Hi Scarlett

I've published your file and uploaded to Scormcloud.  I tested in Chrome and it works as expected but I saw what you mean with IE and Edge, even when the captcha is correct you have to enter it again or at least go back to the screen then Submit again.  It has to be a browser issue.

Also I noticed your had a condition on your trigger that appeared to be a duplicate which isn't needed  - you can remove those.

I would log a support case with Articulate and see if they can help you. Sorry I couldn't be more help. All the best.

Crystal Horn

Hi Scarlett.  I was able to test your .story file -- thanks for including that.  I had the same results as you and Wendy for IE and Edge, specifically with the HTML5 output.

I'm going to write this behavior up for our team to examine.  As for a workaround for the time being: the Flash output appears to work, and I'm also seeing Chrome, Firefox and Safari playing well with HTML5 output.  

We'll be sure to update you in this discussion with any new information.

Crystal Horn

Scarlett, I discovered a little more.  In the HTML5 version of your course, the text entry field that includes a condition will not set the variable equal to the typed value when the control loses focus the first time.  If you hit enter after answering, however, and then hit submit, the "correct" feedback slide appears.  I believe it's because the trigger to jump to the next slide is firing before the trigger to set the text entry variable equal to the typed value.

Not sure why this is happening only in those browsers, but thought I'd give you that information as well!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Scarlett,

Thanks for your patience while our team looked into this issue! 

Today we released Storyline 360, build 3.21.17083.0 which included a fix for the issue where:

• Learners had to press the Enter key twice to submit data-entry field responses and advance to the next slide in HTML5 output.

Let us know if you have any other questions, we're here to help.