Anyone Using Storyline and SCORM 2004 with a Saba 5.5 LMS?

Nov 26, 2012

If so, can you get courses to complete that have a final quiz?  If you have, what have you done?

I can get AICC and SCORM 1.2 courses (with this fix) to complete but not SCORM 2004 (I'm trying 3rd Edition).

I'm guessing but it may be the same suspend issue that the fix above solves.  Wondering if we need the same type of replacement file for SCORM 2004 and Saba?

68 Replies
Matt Mayer

As a quick note, the issues does not lie within Saba. We use to also use SumTotal and had similar issues. Which truly stems from the Articulate product itself. Articulate designs a product that is general in nature, but is truly designed to work within SCORM Cloud and or Articulate Mobile App and not 1 particular LMS. I had reached out to Articulate in the past to see if they wanted to collaborate with Saba Engineers and resolve all user issues, but Articulate was not willing to have such a discussion. Too bad.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure if you're referring to a specific case or one of your previous forum threads, but if you'd like we'd be happy to take a look at the issue you're experiencing. Generally if it behaves as expected in SCORM Cloud that's a good baseline, but if you're seeing this across multiple systems we definitely want to take a look.  You can reach out to our team here. 

Justin Wilcox

Hi Matt. 

We do have instances of Saba 5.5 and 7.2 we test in. I have personally worked with Saba's support in the past and I did not have much luck with them. If you are having an issue with one of the two Saba environments, you can certainly submit your project files to us and we would be happy to test them out. The issue you would have with trying to collaborate with a specific LMS so that the content works in their LMS is that there are hundreds of other LMS' out there and you could be opening yourself up to the content then not working in a different LMS because one company makes choices based on one of the LMS specs that differs from another. The standards are pretty straightforward though I know that Saba has been known to interpret certain functionality different than we do. Our content was designed to allow a user to progress through a course if they view in multiple instances on different devices (Flash or HTML5 or the Articulate Mobile app) and track correctly. If this is not happening, I would definitely follow Ashley's advice and submit a case to us and provide the files that you are having an issue with so we can take a closer look. 

Crystal Horn

Hi there Evelyn.  I'm sorry you're running into reporting issues with your course on SABA.  Have you done any testing in SCORM Cloud yet?  If so, are you getting the same results?

We generally compare the behavior in SCORM Cloud to your LMS experience to try to parse out file issues versus LMS issues.  We are happy to help you with that testing if you'd like to share your file!

Evelyn Hamm

Hello Crystal!

This behavior is specific  to combination Storyline Scorm 2004 and SABA LMS. This error will surely not occur in SCROM Cloud.

SABA is a mighty and popular LMS which is known for their strict SCORM 2004 support, so I think Articulate should try to get a solution for the known problems. I ask google before writing here, and I've found so many threads in this forum about SABA and Storyline. I wonder why Articulate does not search for solutions, but rather the staff answers nearly everytime are that the help searching person should try it in SCORM Cloud...

Hi Evelyn,

Thanks for coming back around to this thread. Our team uses SCORM Cloud as it's an industry standard for LMS behavior and typically recommend testing there as we don't have the ability to test in the plethora of LMSs that our community uses. We have done specific issue testing within some of the larger LMSs and worked with their support teams to do so, but it's also dependent on the way that an LMS is interpreting the SCORM standards which I'll admit to not being even a novice at knowing SABA's structure for that. 

If you'd like to share a copy of your course with our Support Engineers here, I believe we do have the latest instance of Saba to test in to compare with the behavior in another environment such as SCORM Cloud and we can determine any additional steps from there. 

If you want to let me know your case number once you submit it I can follow along.

Thanks for that update Evelyn and I'm happy to hear that SCORM 1.2 is working out for you. If you don't have a SABA instance yourself, SCORM Cloud is a great testing platform that you may want to investigate going forward. It's free up to around 100 MB courses (which works for a lot of courses!) and you can always delete courses after you've done your testing. This article walks through the testing steps and how to troubleshoot if something isn't working in another LMS. 

Thijs Aarts

I've come across similar issues and have no idea what the latest tips and tricks are to get an Articulate Storyline SCORM 2004 export to work in Saba. I see in a lot of the previous posts that Articulate lies the resposnibility of these issues in Saba, but it's Articulate Storyline that has very limited options when it comes to SCORM communication. Like many people in this thread we have issues with the success state in Saba. In SCORM Cloud both the completion status (complete/incomplete) as the success status (passed/failed) are ok after I've finished a course, but Saba gives a complete status but no success status. My client thinks it has something to do with the score which is communicated differently than SCORM 1.2, since with 1.2 it was for instance 80% and now it is 0,8. In any case, the only options I have is to change what information I want to pass like: complete/incomplete, passed/incomplete etc. There's not much else I can do. However, If I create a dummy project in Lectora with similar settings it works fine in Saba. That can only mean this is in fact a Storyline vs Saba issue and Storyline has to have some sort of solution by now, I would imagine. 

The above solution like exporting in SCORM 1.2 doesn't work, because then we're back to the suspend data errors we have because Storyline stores up to 270 characters for each question. The only way to solve that issue is to export to SCORM 2004, like your support team suggested, and now we have Storyline vs Saba issues which I think could be solved if Articulate was willing to do so. Do you guys have any idea after all this time how these issues can be solved?

Justin Grenier

Good Morning, Thijs.

Can you please enable LMS Debug Mode in your published SCORM 2004 course, upload the course to Saba and complete the course, then send us a copy of the resulting LMS Debug Log?  This will help us to understand what information your course has sent to Saba, and how Saba has responded to that information.  Thanks!

Chad Cardwell

Hey folks. I'm sorry to have disappeared for so long. A few of you saw this thread and contacted me directly, and I unfortunately wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped I would be if that happened. I just didn't have well-documented code modifications ready to share and I hardly had any time to make them. If you are one of those people, I sincerely apologize!

The good news is that I've since updated my code modification instructions, and I've attached them to this post below (in a PDF).

I've also uploaded files with the code modifications already in place to this file repository.

Overall, I've had success getting various Storyline 1 & 2 products to properly roll-up/evaluate in the Saba LMS that I have access to, which is the Army Learning Management System (ALMS). My code modifications also help with creating Storyline courseware that passes the Army's required SCORM conformance testing.

Disclaimer: With all that said, I can't guarantee that these code modifications will work for everyone. I also can't speak for Storyline 360 or Storyline 3 compatibility with any of this because I only have access to Storyline 1 and 2.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.