Articulate 360

Nov 09, 2016

Hi,

So the announcement has come out, I WAS excited, but after seeing that price...

Are you literally insane? Why would we pay $1300 PER PERSON PER YEAR to use storyline, when we can just pay a 1 off fee of basically the same price for Storyline on its own.

Yes, I know you get 'other features' in 360, but they are most certainly NOT worth paying that cost every single year.

Let's also look at the fact, that if you stopped subscribing you lose the ability to use Storyline at all, whereas we are still able to use our Storyline 2 licences, and even our Articulate 09 licences.

When I was told during the Beta "you will be pleased with the pricing", I thought that meant you were going to be reasonable. When you compare this and the price against things like the Adobe Creative Suite... how can you justify this extreme expense!?

Having used some of the other pieces of the 360 offering during the Beta, they definitely do not make it worth the price.

Jake

94 Replies
Justin Lovett

I posted this same question over on the Articulate Online forums. I am kind of out raged at Articulate's behavior and how they are dealing with this in terms of pricing and also previous customers. Here is the link:

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-online/platinum-license-for-storyline-2-so-that-s-a-wrap-then

Jeremy Negrey

I've got to say, Articulate, you really dropped the ball here.

I  just convinced my new boss to drop Captivate and buy Storyline 2 licenses for our entire team about a month ago.  I specifically asked if a new version Storyline was set to be delivered in the next 6-12 months that would offer subscription-based pricing and improved mobile delivery capabilities, because those were her two main concerns with Storyline 2.

The sales representative said no, that there was a very early beta version of the software but a new release was not imminent.

Now, literally a month later, 360 comes out and addresses both of these issues?  I'm going to have to answer for this and I feel like I was mislead...maybe even straight-up lied to.

Justin Lovett

Does anyone else feel betrayed by this company? I purchased a License for Storyline 2 (Platinum) for nearly $3000 in order to get the next two upgrades free of chart.

With the way things are going it seems like that license purchase won't pay off. I fear they will continue to develop for Articulate Online and make it exclusive for that subscription.

To me it feels like this company is just going the way of the cash grab that Adobe did prior. Hopefully I am wrong and they continue to release new software versions for the Storyline 2 licenses that were purchased and I can justify my purchase of the Platinum license.

Justin Lovett

Mark Schwartz
 STAFF
 2 minutes ago

Perpetual products don't go away.  Your PMP benefits are still the same as you purchased. You'll receive the enhanced support and a free upgrade to the future version(s) of your perpetual product that you are entitled to based on your purchase of PMP-1, PMP-2, or PMP-3.  We're merely offering you a great option to convert your pre-paid PMP benefit to huge discounts on Articulate 360, should you like that offer.  Articulate 360 offers you so much more than your single perpetual product.  But, if you don't feel like the offer is of value to you, you can certainly stay the course.  

------------------------------

Was the official reply I got.

Mark Schwartz
John Pieterse

As a SL2 lover and great fan of Articulate's support it now went sour. Not even going to waste time for trial. Will stick to SL2 for the time being and start looking at other suppliers. I am so sorry that you have chosen for the money driven path. Please think it over again :-)

John, sorry Articulate 360 doesn't meet your expectations.  Where did we miss the mark for you? It sounds like you're happy with Storyline 2.  That's great.  Why not stay with that vs. looking at other suppliers?  We'll continue to support and develop new versions of Storyline.  Unlike some others in the industry, we're not forcing our customers into an all in one solution, subscription path.  You get to choose what's best for you.  

John Pieterse

Hi Mark, from the Netherlands and visitor of the Articulate days with Tom and David. I was hoping so much for a SL3 with discount price for SL2 users. Like it has been for years. Perhaps I acted a bit hasty but I am more than fine with SL and so are my clients. But paying each year a subscription including a lot of things that are not used doesn't seem like a winner. Do I understand form your words that beside the 360 model one can also continue wit SL, receive updates and pref additional features as in 360 > so also going for SL3 eventually. Regards and thanks again for reaching out, that is how we know you :-)

Dane James

Very disappointed to see Articulate move to a subscription  based program with 360 instead of improving Storyline. I own a license for Storyline 2 personally and it is also used where I work to develop training. I am sure this will weigh heavily on the continued use of Articulate products in the future.

I was very happy with SL2 like Mark and a big advocate for the program at my company giving many demonstrations of its capabilities and ease of use. 

I will also not waste my time with the trial for 360.

Mark Schwartz
John Pieterse

Hi Mark, from the Netherlands and visitor of the Articulate days with Tom and David. I was hoping so much for a SL3 with discount price for SL2 users. Like it has been for years. Perhaps I acted a bit hasty but I am more than fine with SL and so are my clients. But paying each year a subscription including a lot of things that are not used doesn't seem like a winner. Do I understand form your words that beside the 360 model one can also continue wit SL, receive updates and pref additional features as in 360 > so also going for SL3 eventually. Regards and thanks again for reaching out, that is how we know you :-)

That's right John.  When Storyline 3 ships (not yet announced), you will love the new features.  And you'll be able to obtain for free (if you purchased PMP with Storyline 2), or via an upgrade discount.   

Terence Wong

We, too, purchased Storyline 2 on the promise of being able to upgrade to a new version (and that this new version would address designing for mobile), as I had noted when we bought it a few months ago that there hadn't been a new release in over 2 years and that they were due. We are a *tiny* Canadian organization...$1000 USD per year would kill us.

Alaric Saufley

Articulate, I cannot recommend to my employer that we spend this amount of money on multiple yearly subscriptions and therefore we will not be upgrading to 360. In addition, the main "upgrade" we're looking for is improvement to HTML5 authoring, not all of the other stuff "included" in 360.

When will Storyline 3 be released? There is no need to tell us that you "don't release a roadmap," please give us information we can work with instead.

EDIT: Apparently Storyline 360 will include "superior" HTML5 output. When will this released as an upgrade for Storyline 2?!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.